• Please log in to reply
2929 replies to this topic

#31 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the tip, CTSG.. (next time PM me PRIVATELY :clown: )

Now, now, yous Bay Area guys.. those bottles are MINE. I won't get over there 'til next week, so jus' quietly turn around.....

#32 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

Today I picked up ... I also came across a.... I didn't pick those up.... ......is this a good find?

Mon: The joy, angst and anguish on this thread sound like a mezcal tale to me!!!!Posted Image I cannot finish what little mezcal I have; however with that said, I must admit I am on my way down to Twin Liquors to pick up my bottle of Trago blanco!!!Posted Image

#33 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,834 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

I found 2 green label Chinaco blancos

Name a price for one of the Chinacos! Seriously! This is research!Posted Image BTW, you got papers to be in a Mexican store?Posted Image

He's got rolling papers.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No but really, Dolfin, if I had a third bottle I'd hook ya up. But I have one to collect and one to enjoy. I'll keep my eyes open for you though.

#34 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

I found 2 green label Chinaco blancos

Name a price for one of the Chinacos! Seriously! This is research!Posted Image BTW, you got papers to be in a Mexican store?Posted Image

He's got rolling papers.

:lmao:

...I have one to collect and one to enjoy. I'll keep my eyes open...

Please enjoy!Posted Image Many bottles I did enjoy in the 90's.Posted Image I am thinking that there was another more rustic label before the green one. Anybody remember? Time to check with the folks at La Gonzaleña for the history. I just cracked the Trago #1474 from the folks at Los Alambiques; now what was the gossip about these guys? I like it a lot, however I am too lazy to cast any words into cyberspace at the moment to share my observations. Mañana. Now I want some Chirindongo!

Scenario:

An humble El Tenampa catador providing tasting notes to the Grand Tequila Inquisitor at the Real Academia de Todos Mezcales: "¿Señor Catador, puede Ud. relatarnos sus observaciones detalladas sobre este tequila? :t_up: : ¡Pos' si, fijese, si me gusto! ¡Y bastante!"Posted Image :t_up:

#35 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

I'm in the sales industry so it's my nature to negotiate. It works in liquor stores and on most of the bottles that are discontinued I have yet to pay the asking price.

Yeah, I am too...guess I'll just have to get more assertive...but I just had a good experience on-line, so I'll do that for a while, see if I can improve my percentage.

#36 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the tip, CTSG.. (next time PM me PRIVATELY :clown: )

Now, now, yous Bay Area guys.. those bottles are MINE. I won't get over there 'til next week, so jus' quietly turn around.....

Tell you what Lip...if you don't see whatcha came for, gimme a shout. We'll find something in one of San Francisco's 500 liquor stores...(just a guess, it's probabley low).

#37 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

Today I picked up a bottle of ETRWL and a bottle of Alcatraz silver. I also came across a couple of bottles of Quita Penas Repo for $30 each. I didn't pick those up and wanted to get some of your feedback before purchasing them. They said on the label 100% blue agave nom 1368 and had bottle numbers of 653 AN , 652 AN and 651 AN. Is this a good find?

This is exactly what the bottles looked like.

http://pocotequila.c...quitapenas.html

Have you cracked that Alcatraz yet? I am curious if it is worth opening. I paid a pretty penny for mine and I am not sure if I want to open it or put it in La Collection.

#38 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

Today I picked up a bottle of ETRWL and a bottle of Alcatraz silver. I also came across a couple of bottles of Quita Penas Repo for $30 each. I didn't pick those up and wanted to get some of your feedback before purchasing them. They said on the label 100% blue agave nom 1368 and had bottle numbers of 653 AN , 652 AN and 651 AN. Is this a good find?

This is exactly what the bottles looked like.

http://pocotequila.c...quitapenas.html

Have you cracked that Alcatraz yet? I am curious if it is worth opening. I paid a pretty penny for mine and I am not sure if I want to open it or put it in La Collection.

I haven't cracked it open yet. It's the only one I've seen so far and I'm in no rush to sample the goods at this time. :)

#39 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

I haven't cracked it open yet. It's the only one I've seen so far and I'm in no rush to sample the goods at this time. :)

http://www.pocotequi...r/alcatraz.html

Is this what to look for?

I'm thinking I may have seen something like it recently. I'll have to go back and check.

#40 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:09 AM

I'm thinking I may have seen something like it recently. I'll have to go back and check.

Thats the one.

#41 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thats the one.

I bought an Alcatraz silver here in SF for 50 bux...I'm not really interested in silvers, so PM me and I'll consider a trade for whatever anejo you're willing to part with for it.

#42 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

In constant pursuit of the DOB (dusty ol bottle)...I came across, not 1, not 2 but 3 Del Dueno Jerezito yesterday in San Jose!

I was busy checking out the gauche Don Julio display case, evaluting the overpriced tequilas within, when I heard (my co-collector) Tom make a sound like he was getting choked. I looked over and saw his eyes as big around as quarters, with a glazed over look. Following his pointing finger, I looked up and saw them, just sitting there.

At $75 a crack, we simply took all the bottles down, calmly brought them up to the cashier and asked if he had anymore. This turned out to be the owner, and he said his distributor told him he couldn't get it anymore...to which we replied, "ya, we know!"

A fine DOB experience, and worth the haul from SF.

#43 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

In constant pursuit of the DOB (dusty ol bottle)...I came across, not 1, not 2 but 3 Del Dueno Jerezito yesterday in San Jose!

I was busy checking out the gauche Don Julio display case, evaluting the overpriced tequilas within, when I heard (my co-collector) Tom make a sound like he was getting choked. I looked over and saw his eyes as big around as quarters, with a glazed over look. Following his pointing finger, I looked up and saw them, just sitting there.

At $75 a crack, we simply took all the bottles down, calmly brought them up to the cashier and asked if he had anymore. This turned out to be the owner, and he said his distributor told him he couldn't get it anymore...to which we replied, "ya, we know!"

Trade bait?

#44 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Trade bait?

Certainly an option. Always open to a swap. PM me with whatever you'd like to trade, I would be most interested in anejos.

#45 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

Based on location and price, I am betting you got yours the same place I got mine (through another forum member).

I got 4, one was sent off to a friend in the north, one died in a terrible elevator accident - two are left.

#46 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

Based on location and price, I am betting you got yours the same place I got mine (through another forum member).

I got 4, one was sent off to a friend in the north, one died in a terrible elevator accident - two are left.

Considering the rarity of DDJ, more than likely.

We left him with one bottle, a low fill with a ratty lookin' cork. He offered a deal on that one, but I was happy with cleaning him out up to that point. I've got a trade going with bpacifica right now for one, we're going to crack one next time we're all together for gaming, and we're just going to enjoy the rest (around 7 bottles) among ourselves and our friends.

Sorry to hear about the casualty...that's gotta be rough!

#47 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:08 PM

I got 4, one was sent off to a friend in the north, one died in a terrible elevator accident

:(

Today I found a bottle D' Los Altos repo from NOM 1483 (newer bottles have NOM 1499). Hopefully the cork didn't ruin the contents.

#48 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

I picked up an old bottle of El Jimador repo that said 100% agave on it today. The owner said they stopped making it over 5 years ago. .i also picked up a bottle of tres majures (leopard covered bottle) repo and el reformador repo as well.

#49 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

Can anyone give me some feedback on the following tequilas. Thanks!

El Amo special edition anejo- $49
Don Coronas repo nom 1433. it says 55th anniversary on the bottle. $29
Honorable anejo nom 1360 and it has a metal face plate. $39
El Viejito anejo nom 1107. it is the 60th anniversary from back in 1997. $39

#50 TEPLimey

TEPLimey

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

I scored an ETWL in Puerto Vallarta a few weeks ago for $25. I was pretty excited.

#51 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

I scored an ETWL in Puerto Vallarta a few weeks ago for $25. I was pretty excited.

So how was that trip and where did you score that little gem?

#52 TEPLimey

TEPLimey

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

The trip was fantastic. Very relaxing - we were bumped up to first class both ways, too!

We stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise Resort - an all-inclusive place about halfway between town and the airport. We spent a lot of time relaxing on the beach, enjoying the sun and the perfect temperature of the water. One night we ventured into town and ate at PiPi's - which is fantastic for the price, had a few drinks at a small place overlooking the square called Casa De Omlettes, and I managed to stumble into a place in a small mall on the Melacon. The name escapes me but it was on the second floor of a white building along with a jewelery store and a few other places. They seemed surprised that I was so interested in the ETWL, after all - they had tons of "cooler" looking bottles to sell to a gringo like me! HA!

We ended our trip with a dinner at Le Kliff thanks to your recommendation. Needless to say, the girlfriend was blown away. Thanks again!

#53 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

We ended our trip with a dinner at Le Kliff thanks to your recommendation. Needless to say, the girlfriend was blown away. Thanks again!

No Problemo!!

#54 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

whats the lote number?

#55 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

.. I picked up a bottle of ... and a bottle of...

A million thanks to ballard for providing the treasure; three bottles of don Felipe ETWL!!!Posted ImagePosted Image All I can say is thank the Lord for oak heads, otherwise I would still be looking for this special silver (ballard and his pals are oak heads). I had lost track of don Felipe earlier in the millenium when their marketing folks revamped the bottle "look". What amuses me is that somewhere around the turn of the century I had migrated from Chinaco to don Felipe because the marketing folks at La Gonzaleña changed the Chinaco bottle and I thought for a while that the line had been discontinued!Posted Image At a later date when I became aware of the packaging change I switched back to Chinaco and then it was don Felipe's turn to hide itself among the new looking bottles and it got lost for a few years.Posted Image Now they are both back in the fold!

#56 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

There's an old saying in Tennessee. I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee, that says: "Fool me once...”
[pause]
"... shame on...”.
[pause]
"Shame on you...”
[pause]
"If fooled, you can't get fooled again."

George W. Bush

#57 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

This is exactly what ... .... looked like.

If getting fooled at the beginning of a millenium results in one getting shuttled between treasures such as Chinaco silver and don Felipe ETWL silver then I would have to shout:

Bring it on! Shrub

:D flipper

#58 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:42 PM

A million thanks to ballard for providing the treasure; three bottles of don Felipe ETWL!!!Posted ImagePosted Image All I can say is thank the Lord for oak heads, otherwise I would still be looking for this special silver (ballard and his pals are oak heads).

Walked from the Inner Richmond to The Mission today in The City looking in every liquor store we could find (in San Francisco, that's a few to say the least). Spotted a lot of Don Julio (B-R-A) along with the standard Patron offering. Of course, the majority was Cuervo and El Jimidor mixto but we did come upon some pretty decent finds. I saw 4 ETSWL, one at Divisadero and Fell, two at 23rd and Mission and one at Valencia and 18th, all marked around $50. We ended up with two Sauza Traida, a friend brought a bottle over and it didn't suck (knock me over with a feather) so we grabbed a couple since I heard it wasn't being made anymore. I also snagged a D'Reyes Reserva (NOM 1423) since I remember having a shot of that at Noonan's and liking it.

My oak head report for today...

#59 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 863 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

Picked up a couple JCAs yesterday. I had actually seen them back before my recent three week stint of no liquor stores, but wasn't sure what they were at the time. Came back home and read up on them, plus then they've been mentioned a few times since. I was very glad to find that they were still there when I went back!

Going to put the JCRF 2004 and the JCA head to head this Saturday, should be fun!

bda

#60 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

Picked up a couple JCAs yesterday. I had actually seen them back before my recent three week stint of no liquor stores, but wasn't sure what they were at the time. Came back home and read up on them, plus then they've been mentioned a few times since. I was very glad to find that they were still there when I went back!

Going to put the JCRF 2004 and the JCA head to head this Saturday, should be fun!

bda

I look forward to the results as I have yet to taste any of the JCRF vintages.