• Please log in to reply
2921 replies to this topic

#1 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:29 AM

Today I picked up a bottle of ETRWL and a bottle of Alcatraz silver. I also came across a couple of bottles of Quita Penas Repo for $30 each. I didn't pick those up and wanted to get some of your feedback before purchasing them. They said on the label 100% blue agave nom 1368 and had bottle numbers of 653 AN , 652 AN and 651 AN. Is this a good find?

This is exactly what the bottles looked like.

http://pocotequila.c...quitapenas.html

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:28 AM

I also came across a couple of bottles of [color=#333333]Quita Penas Repo for $30 each.

I've recently had a tasting of Quita Penas (don't remember if it was repo or blanco - I *think* it was repo) I enjoyed it, and made a tasting note that for about $30 bucks it was worth it. Not much more though. Make sure the bottle you're looking at is 100%. i have seen Quita bottles that were mixtos (using the SAME bottles as the Puros)
Doesn't sound like a STEAL deal.. but worth taking a chance, I think.
  • Agave Idiots likes this

#3 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

I came across this 1800 milenio today and picked it up. I don't know if I'll open it or not. It came with a nice artistic hand carved box as well. There is a tag inside that states the following:

"
1800 Edición del Nuevo Milenio is a tequila designed exclusively for the change of the Millennium. But it is not special only for that; this edition rested since 1997 in new French oak casks. There are only 300 casks with this tequila which is made from 100% tequiliana Weber blue agave, whose unequaled quality is backed by five generations of Tequila Masters "

http://pocotequila.c...r/1800bmil.html

#4 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

There was another small store that had 3 bottles of the 2005 JCRF for $99 each. I've never tried it before but everyone here seems to like this tequila. Should I jump on these before they're gone?

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:26 AM

You're finding interesting stuff lately, anejo..
Where you located? L.A.?

#6 Ubertaster

Ubertaster

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

I came across this 1800 milenio today and picked it up. I don't know if I'll open it or not. It came with a nice artistic hand carved box as well. There is a tag inside that states the following:

"
1800 Edición del Nuevo Milenio is a tequila designed exclusively for the change of the Millennium. But it is not special only for that; this edition rested since 1997 in new French oak casks. There are only 300 casks with this tequila which is made from 100% tequiliana Weber blue agave, whose unequaled quality is backed by five generations of Tequila Masters "

http://pocotequila.c...r/1800bmil.html

We can still get this in the St. Louis area and is one of my favorite añejos. I like it as well as JCRF.

bj

#7 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

You're finding interesting stuff lately, anejo..
Where you located? L.A.?

Right outside of Modesto in a small town named Riverbank.

#8 Tonga

Tonga

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:28 AM

I also came across a couple of bottles of [color=#333333]Quita Penas Repo for $30 each.

I've recently had a tasting of Quita Penas (don't remember if it was repo or blanco - I *think* it was repo) I enjoyed it, and made a tasting note that for about $30 bucks it was worth it. Not much more though. Make sure the bottle you're looking at is 100%. i have seen Quita bottles that were mixtos (using the SAME bottles as the Puros)

Another tequila hoarding buddy of mine has literally a closet full of tequila...and Quita Penas repo is a staple with this guy. He gave me a bottle one year for my birthday, and it was really enjoyable.

I didn't know Quita Penas even had a mixto...I've been mulling over picking up a couple of bottles at a local place here. I'll be sure to check the label now, thanks for the heads up.

#9 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Another tequila hoarding buddy of mine has literally a closet full of tequila...and Quita Penas repo is a staple with this guy. He gave me a bottle one year for my birthday, and it was really enjoyable.

I didn't know Quita Penas even had a mixto...I've been mulling over picking up a couple of bottles at a local place here. I'll be sure to check the label now, thanks for the heads up.

The ones I looked at said tequila on them, blue agave and were 40%. This would appear to be the real tequila and not the mixto.

#10 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

it's gotta say "100% agave" I think the mixtos used the word agave on the label as well. It's a tricky business, this tequila drinking!

#11 Adam

Adam

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

it's gotta say "100% agave" I think the mixtos used the word agave on the label as well. It's a tricky business, this tequila drinking!

I just found a dusty bottle of Quita Penas Plata at a local liquor store. It is a one litre in a clear bottle, shaped and labled just like the familiar reposado in the blue bottle. It is 100% agave. For $39, I figured it was worth a try. Has anyone tried the Plata before? It seems the Plata may be hard to find. I have not really seen it around at all.

#12 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

I just found a dusty bottle of Quita Penas Plata at a local liquor store. It is a one litre in a clear bottle, shaped and labled just like the familiar reposado in the blue bottle. It is 100% agave. For $39, I figured it was worth a try. Has anyone tried the Plata before? It seems the Plata may be hard to find. I have not really seen it around at all.

I'm generally not a silver drinker, but I've had this and it was very good. 'Pain killer' (loosley translated) has a silver and a reposado (the repo is really good too)...they either don't produce an anejo, or they don't export one to the US, never got the full story on that (conflicting reports).

Don't know your location, but I've seen it available in SF...and that being the case, be prepared to pay top rate (or close to it).

#13 Adam

Adam

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

Here are some pics of the bottle. Kind of interesting, the back label is in English but the hang tag is in Spanish. And one of the more interesting tags I have seen, it is actually a mini tasting notes form!

Attached Files

#14 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

And one of the more interesting tags I have seen, it is actually a mini tasting notes form!

Corralejo used to have the same tags on their mixto bottles some years ago.

#15 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

I scored an El Tesoro White Lable Anejo the other day. (ETWL refers to the old bottle regardless of grade, no?).

The bottle had no dust on it, wasn't tucked away in the back of the shelf, the owner DID know what he had, and I'm pretty sure I paid close to top rate for it, but WTF...it's ETWL, right?

#16 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

I scored an El Tesoro White Lable Anejo the other day. (ETWL refers to the old bottle regardless of grade, no?).

The bottle had no dust on it, wasn't tucked away in the back of the shelf, the owner DID know what he had, and I'm pretty sure I paid close to top rate for it, but WTF...it's ETWL, right?

nice score and enjoy every sip.

#17 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

I also scored an ETWL anejo the other day (while looking for ETWL silver, which I did NOT find yet!). Mine was dusty, was hidden behind 3 bottles of Cazadores and the owner had no idea what it was. I think it was $37.99.

#18 *45*

*45*

• 1,816 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:53 AM

I found 2 green label Chinaco blancos for $28 tonight at an old Mexican food market! Still looking for ETWLA though...I also found, but did not yet buy (2) 2004 JCRF for $90 each. This is the one y'all dig the most right???

#19 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:57 AM

I found 2 green label Chinaco blancos

Name a price for one of the Chinacos! Seriously! This is research!Posted Image BTW, you got papers to be in a Mexican store?Posted Image

#20 jim

jim

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:25 AM

I found 2 green label Chinaco blancos for $28 tonight at an old Mexican food market! Still looking for ETWLA though...I also found, but did not yet buy (2) 2004 JCRF for $90 each. This is the one y'all dig the most right???

Yes the 2004 was great, i know DP is in so cal looking,

#21 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

I also scored an ETWL anejo the other day (while looking for ETWL silver, which I did NOT find yet!). Mine was dusty, was hidden behind 3 bottles of Cazadores and the owner had no idea what it was. I think it was $37.99.

You're really, really annoying some times... :fire:

#22 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

You're really, really annoying some times... :fire:

:lol:

Yeah, thought you might like that Tonga.

I went shopping at lunch and found my first ETWL Silver. Was chatting with the owner of that liquor store and I told him I was jealous of his Don Julio display case. I've seen those at a bunch of different liquor stores and always liked them. Most places keep their highest end bottles in there. He was willing to sell, so I bought it from him. Figure that will fit nicely behind the new bar. Woohoo!

:fiesta:

#23 BaadDawg

BaadDawg

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

I found 2 green label Chinaco blancos

Name a price for one of the Chinacos! Seriously! This is research!Posted Image BTW, you got papers to be in a Mexican store?Posted Image

He's got rolling papers.

#24 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

:lol:

Yeah, thought you might like that Tonga.

I went shopping at lunch and found my first ETWL Silver. Was chatting with the owner of that liquor store and I told him I was jealous of his Don Julio display case. I've seen those at a bunch of different liquor stores and always liked them. Most places keep their highest end bottles in there. He was willing to sell, so I bought it from him. Figure that will fit nicely behind the new bar. Woohoo!

:fiesta:

At first I was going to post about how bad you really suck sometimes...but then, I thought...

'Hey, he's got a raggedy ol' craigslist lookin bookcase that was falling apart and thrown out in 1972...it's about time he put his nice tequila in something that didn't look like it was just dug up out of the woodpile and whitewashed to resemble a shelving unit...good for him."

For everyone else, we're not competitive or anything.

#25 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

I picked up a bottle of D'Los Altos anejo and El Jimador anejo metal label today. I've heard good things about both of these and it only set me back $79 for the 2 bottles. I'll crack them open on Fathers Day.

#26 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:14 AM

I'm particularly interested in the DLA anejo...

#27 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

There are 3 bottles of ETWLA(as of Thursday night) at the little convienence store about 1 block away from Tommy's same side of the road. It's on a corner. If you walk of out Tommy's and turn right. $49 I think. The late night guy sold us one for $30.

#28 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:44 PM

There are 3 bottles of ETWLA(as of Thursday night) at the little convienence store about 1 block away from Tommy's same side of the road. It's on a corner. If you walk of out Tommy's and turn right. $49 I think. The late night guy sold us one for $30.

I'm going to have to find out who this 'late night guy' is...I'm a regular at Liberty market and I paid top f'in rate for mine...good for you CTSG, but now I've got a bone to pick with these guys, cause that sucks (for me). He's never knocked off anything for me, let alone $19...of course, you're probabley better lookin than I am too.

#29 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

I picked up a bottle of D'Los Altos anejo and El Jimador anejo metal label today. I've heard good things about both of these and it only set me back $79 for the 2 bottles. I'll crack them open on Fathers Day.

I haven't tried the D'Los Altos anejo, but the El Jimidor steel label is very enjoyable, especially if you're into the oak/spice thing.

#30 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

I'm going to have to find out who this 'late night guy' is...I'm a regular at Liberty market and I paid top f'in rate for mine...good for you CTSG, but now I've got a bone to pick with these guys, cause that sucks (for me). He's never knocked off anything for me, let alone $19...of course, you're probabley better lookin than I am too.

I'm in the sales industry so it's my nature to negotiate. It works in liquor stores and on most of the bottles that are discontinued I have yet to pay the asking price.