4) Porfidio Single Barrel
5) DJ 1942

Under $50:

1) El Tesoro
2) Tonala Suprema Reserva
3) Jimador
4) Don Viejo
5) Corazon

Having recently opened a bottle of 7 Leguas that I purchased several months ago, one must be replaced in my top 5 list in the under $50 category. Sorry Corazon, but you have been dropped!
7 Leguas moves right into my # 2 spot, and if it weren't for my long time affair with ET products, it might just unseat ETA for the #1, it is that darn good! Had I been blindly served 7LA, I would have assumed it was a 3 figure tequila.

Under $50: (Revised)
1) El Tesoro
2) 7 Leguas
3) Tonala SR
4) Jimador
5) Don Viejo

#63 Tonga

Tonga

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

beginner's favs,1942,Jclf 05,06,Penca Azul anejo,Espolon,Chinaco

...hmm, the force is strong in this one.

#64 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

My old post

In no particular order:

Paradiso
DJ1942
HSS
JCRF
DFI

My new post, but I'll do 7 this time. Perhaps ETXA and CNXA will be added as an 8th and 9th when I get them eventually.

Paradiso
JCRF 04 (def not 05 and 06)
DFI
HSS
Tapatio Excelencia (or whatever I got from the UK)
DJ1942
Rey Sol

#65 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

Over $60...

ET Paradiso (all time champeen)
Chinaco 30th
Casa Noble
HSS
DJ'42

Under $60

Chinaco (regular anejo)
Tonala 4 year suprema reserva
1921 Reserva ('anejo' classification pending)
Real Hacienda
Oro Azul

A recent tasting had me re-thinking things a bit afterward. Dunno...maybe I'm fickle. New order

CE30th
GC Leyenda
HSS
ET Paradiso
DFI

Honorable mention - Casa Noble
Under $60 still pretty much the same.

#66 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

I tasted Cabo Uno tonite, and was appalled by the thrust-citrus and yeast-kerosene manipulation. Avoid this at all costs. Buy a good bottle of something you love instead.

#67 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

I tasted Cabo Uno tonite, and was appalled by the thrust-citrus and yeast-kerosene manipulation. Avoid this at all costs. Buy a good bottle of something you love instead.

I must say I concur Lip. Definitely not worth the money they are getting for this. I can only sympathize and relate to that moment when you are anticipating something special, you open the bottle, pour a little, hold it up and admire the color, smell it, taste it, and boom....kind of like that feeling you got when you opened that 16th Birthday card from your rich uncle and found nothing but words of encouragement sans $. I may be overly dramatic, but you all have been there. I am ashamed to admit that I fell into the hype of a new nicely packaged ultra premium and paid way too much for a bottle of this. Money would be well spent elsewhere. I am on a mission to "impress" certain friends with tastes of this so I can get rid of it quick and hopefully sell the empty box & bottle on Ebay while the iron is hot so I can recoup part of my investment.

#68 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:50 PM

I am on a mission to "impress" certain friends with tastes of this so I can get rid of it quick and hopefully sell the empty box & bottle on Ebay while the iron is hot so I can recoup part of my investment.

Well, just pour the rest iof the "Uno" into a water bottle, and sell the packaging now.

#69 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

I must say I concur Lip. Definitely not worth the money they are getting for this. I can only sympathize and relate to that moment when you are anticipating something special, you open the bottle, pour a little, hold it up and admire the color, smell it, taste it, and boom....kind of like that feeling you got when you opened that 16th Birthday card from your rich uncle and found nothing but words of encouragement sans $. I may be overly dramatic, but you all have been there. I am ashamed to admit that I fell into the hype of a new nicely packaged ultra premium and paid way too much for a bottle of this. Money would be well spent elsewhere. I am on a mission to "impress" certain friends with tastes of this so I can get rid of it quick and hopefully sell the empty box & bottle on Ebay while the iron is hot so I can recoup part of my investment.

I was all set to grab one mainly because I think the bottle is nice, and the tequila is popular (go figure). I got a shot of this in a flight against HSS and DJR, needless to say it got spanked...and hard! It really detracted from the flight and I'm glad I got to this last. Lippy pretty much called this one.

#70 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

I'm sure there are others that will make the list over time but these are the ones I've purchased.

Paridiso
Porfidio
Tonala 4 year
1921 Reserva

It's tough to leave ET, Chinaco and El Jimador metal label off the list, I can't imagine taking one of those 5 off.

#71 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

I'm somewhat new to the whole fine tequila thing so my experience is limited. With that in mind, there are several I have in mind to try as I get around to each one. Here's what I like so far in no particular order:

Don Eduardo
Don Julio
Patron
Cabo Wabo
D Los Altos

Next on the list to try: Gran Centranario, El Tesoro, Chinaco, Casa Noble, and Corazon.

#72 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

I'm somewhat new to the whole fine tequila thing so my experience is limited. With that in mind, there are several I have in mind to try as I get around to each one. Here's what I like so far in no particular order:

Don Eduardo
Don Julio
Patron
Cabo Wabo
D Los Altos

Next on the list to try: Gran Centranario, El Tesoro, Chinaco, Casa Noble, and Corazon.

I can say with all confidence that your 'next to try' list will replace your current ones, in the anejo catagory at least. Corozon might not break into your top five...but Gran Cent is very good and El Tesoro is probabley the highest regarded tequila on this forum. Casa Noble would also spank any of your current list...(IMHO).

#73 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

Don Eduardo
Don Julio
Patron
Cabo Wabo
D Los Altos

I can say with all confidence that your 'next to try' list will replace your current ones, in the anejo catagory at least. Corozon might not break into your top five...but Gran Cent is very good and El Tesoro is probabley the highest regarded tequila on this forum. Casa Noble would also spank any of your current list...(IMHO).

Anejo speaking only, I didn't care for the Cabo Wabo anejo. If given the choice, I prefer their repo over their anejo. Never tried the blanco. I already like El Tesoro, Chinaco and Casa Noble in the blanco's.

I've come to realize, even with blanco's, I prefer to sip it, drinking it straight at room temperature. I bought 2 bottles this weekend and just let them sit in a cabinet.

What do you guys prefer? Room temp or chilled? Any why?

#74 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

I only sip it at room temp. Never crossed my mind to do anything else to it.

As an aside...I have sent back shots because they insist on floating a chunk of fruit in my tequila, or salting the glass, or putting ice in it...or something other than just plain. I now lead with "straight shot, nothing in the glass except tequila".

You would be surprised how many people afterward will ask you "lime with that?" My definition of 'nothing' apparently doesn't include lime...

#75 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

I only sip it at room temp. Never crossed my mind to do anything else to it.

As an aside...I have sent back shots because they insist on floating a chunk of fruit in my tequila, or salting the glass, or putting ice in it...or something other than just plain. I now lead with "straight shot, nothing in the glass except tequila".

You would be surprised how many people afterward will ask you "lime with that?" My definition of 'nothing' apparently doesn't include lime...

same here

#76 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

Who could blame either of you?

#77 Dinosaur David B.

Dinosaur David B.

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

These are the best three I've tried.

Herridura Selecion Supreme
Don Fulano
Caballo Moro

Next bunch that's really good
Don Julio 1942 (better than the Real)
JCRF
Partida
Canicas
Oro Azul

And yes, if you want to get yourself and your partner hot n bothered, try the Corralejo anejo.

#78 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

Is any other liquor tri-fold like tequila? Ask yourself that? How many brands of spirit have a tri-fold intricacy. (B, R, A) Am I wrong? Being a newbie I might provide some unique perspective. We'll see :)

I've tried 2 level as far as say Crown Royal and CR Reserve. But there's the whole tri-lateral blanco, repo, anejo aspect too. Is there any other liquor so complex? (Under the guise of being so uncomplex? Cough JCG!)

#79 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

As far as aging goes tequila is very unique in that regard, but I consider most spirits to have some type of steps.

Gin has various types genever, london dry, and plymouth. I wouldn't call it tri-fold since it's not a progression of ages like tequila.

As far as a progression of aging categories such as single malts and Cognacs (VS, VSOP, XO, etc.), SMSW, etc. do exist.

#80 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

Is any other liquor tri-fold like tequila? Ask yourself that? How many brands of spirit have a tri-fold intricacy. (B, R, A) Am I wrong? Being a newbie I might provide some unique perspective. We'll see :)

I've tried 2 level as far as say Crown Royal and CR Reserve. But there's the whole tri-lateral blanco, repo, anejo aspect too. Is there any other liquor so complex? (Under the guise of being so uncomplex? Cough JCG!)

You forgot 'Gold' and 'Extra anejo'...

#81 jeff

jeff

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

[quote name='agaveblue' date='Jul 10 2007, 03:43 PM' post='26371']

#82 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

As far as aging goes tequila is very unique in that regard, but I consider most spirits to have some type of steps.

Gin has various types genever, london dry, and plymouth. I wouldn't call it tri-fold since it's not a progression of ages like tequila.

As far as a progression of aging categories such as single malts and Cognacs (VS, VSOP, XO, etc.), SMSW, etc. do exist.

Good point. Usually, the age is known for certain types of liquor such as Scotch and that does affect it's price. But it's not a tri-level thing at all. It's just a number of years. And truth be told, it's really 4 or 5 and not 3.

You forgot 'Gold' and 'Extra anejo'...

Yes, I know. Usually a gold isn't 100% agave. But it is in the case of Casa Noble Gold right? (Confusing as all hell get out!) I wouldn't normally purchase a gold but I'm glad you point out this distinction because it's true. As long as it's 100% de agave and from a reputable source, then it's just blanco plus right? Maybe better taste? Those tastes are really there to mask the mixto's I thought.

#83 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

Does 1921 Reserva Especial count? It's techically a reposado at 9 months but this brand has two reposado's and this one tastes (I bought some tonight) like an anejo.

#84 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

I went ahead and completed THREE finally with El Tesoro. By that I mean it's the first brand I've bought a blanco, reposado and anejo for atleast once. I'm a newbie.

I'm enjoying the 1921 Reserva Especial ofcourse but I picked up a bottle of El Tesoro anejo today. It's a first for me. I guess El Tesoro wins the race so to speak.

It's good, smooth. A good product but a slight alcohol burn to it. I don't seem to recall that with their repo or blanco. I'd really like to compare all three of them side by side actually. That would interesting. I'm going to keep this simple and say that upon the first try I liked ETA. I would buy it again. For some reason the 1921 Reserva Especial seems even more impressive. I definitely like the El Tesoro products, especially their platinum and reposado and their anejo works well. Very tasty and extremely smooth which made up for the slight burn.

Edited by agaveblue, 23 July 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#85 Frodo

Frodo

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

Does 1921 Reserva Especial count? It's techically a reposado at 9 months but this brand has two reposado's and this one tastes (I bought some tonight) like an anejo.

I always thought this expression walks and talks like an anjeo. Inteeresting. This is the only expression of tequila that I've bought more than one bottle of!!!

Edited by Frodo, 22 July 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#86 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

I'm sure there are others that will make the list over time but these are the ones I've purchased.

Paridiso
Porfidio
Tonala 4 year
1921 Reserva

JCA took Tonala off my top 5 last night. JCRF knocked out the 1921 as well. I would really like to find a bottle of the 2004 JCFR, no luck so far.

#87 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

I see JCRF 2004 all over the place. Where do you live anejo?

#88 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

I see JCRF 2004 all over the place. Where do you live anejo?

He's out here on the left coast with me...and I've got to agree, no 2004 JCRF around. Plenty of 06 and 07...neither one holds a candle to 04. Found a JCRF 2005 yesterday, thought it was an 04 and almost bought it until I checked the date.

#89 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

Tonga, anejo if you want I can grab some and send them out to you guys. Let me know.
Shipping will hurt a little. I havent seen the 07 around here yet.

#90 TejasGirl

TejasGirl

Newcomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

As a board newbie I'm going to post this so I can LMAO a year from now at my naive list.

A couple days ago we (Citizen and I) put ET Paradiso and DJ1942 and JCRF head to head. I definitely loved the 1942 (it was much like Espolon so I like my sweet tequila.) The JCRF was excellent, very heavy on the tongue. But the Paradiso? I felt it was extremely average. I'm not as much on woody.

Anyway, here's my list.

1. Espolon
2. DJ1942
3. JCRF
4. Patron (yeah, laugh me off the forum right now, I know, I know!)
5. Herradura