• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#31 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

I agree--in that order--except for the #1 in my book...

Penca Azúl añejo. Still knocks my socks off!

Mike... Ahh yes Penca Azul is fantastic... if it is selling for less than $60 a bottle in New Mexico let me know and I will need to figure out how to get some B) ... ohh by the way Mike, I think siembra azul is to release their anejo sometime soon (at least during my visit last year David mentioned a release this year)... no doubt I will need to find it when it is available :t_up: Regards,
Tim

#32 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

Mike... Ahh yes Penca Azul is fantastic... if it is selling for less than $60 a bottle in New Mexico let me know and I will need to figure out how to get some B) .

Relative to the price of PA blanco and reposado, the anejo is a bargain! ^_^ At WLD, it's only $90, which is not cheap, but also not that outrageous in the spectrum of anejos. It's pretty damn good, too.

#33 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

Mike... Ahh yes Penca Azul is fantastic... if it is selling for less than $60 a bottle in New Mexico let me know and I will need to figure out how to get some B) .

Relative to the price of PA blanco and reposado, the anejo is a bargain! ^_^ At WLD, it's only $90, which is not cheap, but also not that outrageous in the spectrum of anejos. It's pretty damn good, too.

True... I have been looking at the 1.75 litre in the wooden box for $199... maybe with the tax refund :t_up:

#34 Partimer

Partimer

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

My all time favorites are

1) DJ 1942
2) AHA Yeto (toro)
3) My JCRF 1997
for value
4) Lapis
5) 3G

HSS I was disapointed in. :D

Favs not found anymore, Sauza Triada, Casta Weber Azul!

#35 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hey Partimer,

I've heard a few others talk about the Sauza Triada as well. Was it on the sweet side? The woody side? Does it retain it's agave?

I'm embarrassed to say that I *THINK* I tasted a sip at cwikla's back in Oct., but I was into SO MANY excellent anejos that evening that I really have no memory of it. :red_smile:

#36 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

:( when will I be able to taste Penca Azul?? :growl: Somebody send me someeee...!!

#37 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

Should of stuck around a bit more and you would have got a chance last year.

I know I know you didn't want any of your friends to see you playing with the Gingos..... we understand, :clown:

:( when will I be able to taste Penca Azul?? :growl: Somebody send me someeee...!!

#38 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Ok, Wichieman...rub it in, rub it in good.... :P

One day, I will be the tequila Nazi...and then...NO TEQUILA FOR YOU!!! :clown: :lmao:

cant wait to see you guys in April!

Should of stuck around a bit more and you would have got a chance last year.

I know I know you didn't want any of your friends to see you playing with the Gingos..... we understand, :clown:

#39 Mossy

Mossy

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

My bargain Anejos would be Tesoro, Espolon, Tonala, FE, and even though it's not around anymore and hasn't been, I'm saying it anyway: DON VIEJO.

Rest in peace, friend. :(

Ah, yes -- I know it gets a mixed reaction around here, but I'm really savoring my last few bottles.

#40 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:48 PM

I guess I better start stocking up then before we come to that......

Ok, Wichieman...rub it in, rub it in good.... :P

One day, I will be the tequila Nazi...and then...NO TEQUILA FOR YOU!!! :clown: :lmao:

#41 Partimer

Partimer

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hey Partimer,

I've heard a few others talk about the Sauza Triada as well. Was it on the sweet side? The woody side? Does it retain it's agave?

I'm embarrassed to say that I *THINK* I tasted a sip at cwikla's back in Oct., but I was into SO MANY excellent anejos that evening that I really have no memory of it. :red_smile:

Lippy, it was NOT woody, rather smooth well balanced but not overly remarkable. long finish. Diegos at MGM in LV still has a few bottles. Last time there they wanted $29 / shot, I used to pay $35 bottle 3 years ago when I last saw it here in NC!
No, I didn't, not when DJ1942 is only $20.!! :fire1:

Can't wait to meet you in Teq!

#42 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:17 PM

I know of a place that still has a few in stock(last I checked) I think around $40 maybe i can try and pick one up before the trip and bring it down. I have been curious about this one too, but have stayed away from it because its Sauza.........

Hey Partimer,

Lippy, it was NOT woody, rather smooth well balanced but not overly remarkable. long finish. Diegos at MGM in LV still has a few bottles. Last time there they wanted $29 / shot, I used to pay $35 bottle 3 years ago when I last saw it here in NC!
No, I didn't, not when DJ1942 is only $20.!! :fire1:

Can't wait to meet you in Teq!

#43 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:22 PM

Please excuse my ignorance.. but is it legal to pack Tequila in your suitcase and fly it into MX?? I mean from the USA... but actually, is it even legal from Ontario??

Oh, and I'm looking forward to meeting you (and the rest of "the gang") in Tequila as well, Partimer!

#44 jim

jim

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

Please excuse my ignorance.. but is it legal to pack Tequila in your suitcase and fly it into MX?? I mean from the USA... but actually, is it even legal from Ontario??

Oh, and I'm looking forward to meeting you (and the rest of "the gang") in Tequila as well, Partimer!

just tell mex customs if you get the red light you are bringing it back for recycling, if you get the green light almost always just walk through

#45 knolly

knolly

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

My all time favorites are

1) DJ 1942
2) AHA Yeto (toro)
3) My JCRF 1997
for value
4) Lapis
5) 3G

HSS I was disapointed in. :D

Favs not found anymore, Sauza Triada, Casta Weber Azul!

First post as a new member, but I thought that you might find it interesting that I just picked up a bottle of each of the two tequilas that you mentioned! The Sauza Triada (which I had never heard of before and was a recommended buy) and a Casta Weber Azul (NOM 1146) which I had been looking for for quite a while. The Sauza was a really nice surprise. I'm normally not a fan of Sauza anything, but this is an extremely flavourful tequila. It's a little "hot" and not quite as polished as some, but the flavours are definitely intense. It's pretty much the antithesis of Milagro :)

I've tasted the Casta Weber Azul before and knew what I was looking for: now that I own my own, this is a special bottle and will definitely have to wait until the right time (what ever that is) to be opened.

Cheers!

#46 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

The Sauza was a really nice surprise. I'm normally not a fan of Sauza anything, but this is an extremely flavourful tequila. It's a little "hot" and not quite as polished as some, but the flavours are definitely intense.

I know a place that still has a bottle or two of Triada. Looks like I may be getting into a bottle soon.

I finally tried a shot of ETA white label. Every bit as good and "complex" as I anticipated. I did a side x side with Espolon anejo, and while the Espolon is quite good, it paled next to the ETA. Espolon was thicker in the mouth and more sweet. The ETA felt very spicy and "alive" with the agave coming through very noticably. I LOVED its complexity.

#47 oceanos

oceanos

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:15 PM

Here are my picks....

If money is of no object:

1) Rey Sol (makes me ask is this a tequila or a cognac?)
2) Gran Centenario Reserva del Tequilero (very complex, very smooth).
3) Arette Gran Classe (unusual taste, very oaky)
4) Don Julio 1942 (complex, very spicy)
5) JCRF (sweet, vanilla, a nice blended tequila)

For the value conscious:

1) Don Julio
2) El Jimador
3) El Tesoro
4) 4 Copas
5) Corralejo

#48 anejospirit

anejospirit

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

I prefer blancos but sometimes I will have an anejo and I will choose depending on mood, day of time, weather... and according to this, different style of anejos...

1.- CASA NOBLE

2.- CENTINELA 3 ANOS

3.- DON JULIO 1942

4.- PARADISO

5.- JCRF

#49 DON CESAR

DON CESAR

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

My top 5 they change from time to time but at this moment

1.Porfidio the original sb (can only have a shot once in a while my reserve of bottles is getting low)

2.Don Fulano Imperial

3.JCRF

4.Paradiso

5.Don Tacho

#50 knolly

knolly

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

2.Don Fulano Imperial

I keep hearing about this and while I'm new to this forum, I find it mentioned A LOT here. Is it really this good and if so, where can I find it (online)?

Cheers!

#51 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:36 AM

I am a blanco guy but I want to know what you oak heads think. These are the only ones I tried at last Thursday's tasting, so I am listing them:
Trago Añejo
Partida Añejo

#52 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

Above $60

Chinaco 30th Emperador
DJ 1942
Paradiso
Del Dueno Jerezito
Casa Noble

Below $60

Gran Centenario
1921 Reserva (I know, technically a repo, but I always think of it as an anejo)
Regional (old or new)
Real Hacienda
Lapiz (old or new)

#53 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

Above $60

Chinaco 30th Emperador
DJ 1942
Paradiso
Del Dueno Jerezito
Casa Noble

Below $60

Gran Centenario
1921 Reserva (I know, technically a repo, but I always think of it as an anejo)
Regional (old or new)
La Certeza (La Cer-taste-a as Tonga likes to call it)
Lapiz (old or new)

Almost a mirror of Ballard's top 5...

Over $60...

ET Paradiso (all time champeen)
Chinaco 30th
Casa Noble
HSS
DJ'42

Under $60

Chinaco (regular anejo)
Tonala 4 year suprema reserva
1921 Reserva ('anejo' classification pending)
Real Hacienda
Oro Azul

#54 ballard

ballard

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Tonga, forgot about Real, edited mine and dropped Cer-taste-a in favor of Real Hacienda.

bDA

#55 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Tonga, forgot about Real, edited mine and dropped Cer-taste-a in favor of Real Hacienda.

bDA

Unless you got La Cer-taste-ah on sale, last price I saw was $65...as discussed on this board perhaps a bit inflated for what you're getting...but we've killed more than a couple bottles and always found it to be a very smooth, enjoyable anejo (especially with a cigar). I saw it selling out at BevMo almost everytime it was stocked, that was a pretty good endorsement in my book.

#56 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

I'm sure there are others that will make the list over time but these are the ones I've purchased.

Paridiso
Porfidio
Tonala 4 year
1921 Reserva

#57 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

2.Don Fulano Imperial

I keep hearing about this and while I'm new to this forum, I find it mentioned A LOT here. Is it really this good and if so, where can I find it (online)?

Cheers!

You can find the entire Don Full-on-o (as well call it) line at BevMo, you can also use the on-line option to order one in from any other BevMo.

#58 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

I think we would prefer if all the newer members use these original posts for consistences sake.

For my information, who does the term "we" include? Did you mean consistency and not consistences(sic)?

As an "old boy" and one of the four or five moderators, perhaps you could be of assistance to this "newer member" regarding the operation of this board. Exactly how does one check to see if a topic has already been covered. My search was obviously not the correct one. My most humble apologies go out to you and anyone else who feels wronged or has suffered irreparable damage.

I am sure you have already posted when and how you came to be an aficionado and self proclaimed (your words -- according to a recent post you made) tequila snob; however if you have a few moments I would like to hear the story to see exactly where you are coming from. How long have your been enjoying mezcales, including tequila?

It seems like most members of this forum are "just a bunch of folks who enjoy tequila." I like that. I am also a firm believer that we are all *deleted* on this bus!

Ana Valenzuela made the following comment on her blog:

"Todos creen saber la verdad, en el tequila, cada mexicano se siente dueño y señor de la bebida." And apparently a few foreigners feel that they are "the owners of tequila" as well. I hope no one on this forum!

Cheers! Let me buy you a few rounds. Let's have some fun!Posted Image

#59 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:05 PM

Unless you got La Cer-taste-ah on sale, last price I saw was $65...as discussed on this board perhaps a bit inflated for what you're getting...but we've killed more than a couple bottles and always found it to be a very smooth, enjoyable anejo (especially with a cigar). I saw it selling out at BevMo almost everytime it was stocked, that was a pretty good endorsement in my book.

Just checked hitimes wine...La Cer-taste-ah is going for $39.99. I stand corrected...again.

#60 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

OK, in the "top five" tradition, I thought it would be fun to list anejos. I started my tequila passion with them thinking they would be the best seeing how other spirits are often better aged. They have since fallen out of my favor for many reasons. First off the ageing makes most of them taste like bourbon or brandy, which can be had just as well or better for much cheaper. The other factor is price. I am not exactly destitute, but my ceiling is ~40, maybe on a splurging day 50 dollars a bottle and I am getting the feeling few truly great anejos fall into the category (ETA does just fine!).

I think I should probably put a price cap of about ~200 dollars (HSS/DJR territory). If anyone tried that 300,000 dollar bottle of tequila I'd be curious to hear about it, but to keep in on the level for mere mortals like me I think +/-200 bucks is more than enough.

Here goes:

1. Sauza Tres Generaciones Anejo (I catch lots of flak, but for me smoothness is paramount and unlike many other anejos 3GA has it in spades)
2. El Tesoro de Don Felipe Anejo (wonderful agave flavor considering age, but a tad hot to be reached for all the time)
3. Don Julio Anejo (nice flavor but it tastes a a bit young/rough for what it should be and the price)
4. Tonala 4yr (could be #1 by a landslide if eaten after a heavy meal, but unlike these others I can only enjoy it then)
5. Herradura Anejo (tastes like whiskey with an agave kick, but it's good for what it is and what it costs)

Other runners up were Corazon (very nice, but tastes like a less fragrant ETA knockoff) and 1800 (I catch flak for this one too, but I can still enjoy this one if it's around)

Pricing not a factor- If we are talking value for $, these are all losers (except Porfidio)
1. Old Porfidio SBA (Green Lip Bottle)- In my book, pretty much set the standard.
2. Rey Sol
3. Herencia Historico (Too bad you have to pay extra for the nice box & glass)
4. D'Antano (By 7 Leguas)
5. HSS