• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#31 Mossy

Mossy

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 575 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

Mossy- what is 1941 like?I'm not familiar...and Mike Morales...what about the hard to find Buscadores? Is it still being made?

I'd say it's on the anejo side of things -- nice wood presence, though if youre a fan of the 1921 blanco, it will still have some flavor notes you'll recognize.

#32 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

I thought it was what you got when you mixed 1942 with some 1921....... :clown:

Mossy- what is 1941 like?I'm not familiar...and Mike Morales...what about the hard to find Buscadores? Is it still being made?

I'd say it's on the anejo side of things -- nice wood presence, though if youre a fan of the 1921 blanco, it will still have some flavor notes you'll recognize.

#33 RLO1

RLO1

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

I dont have a top 5 list for Repo's, as I either want it aged for at least 3 years or unaged. I have had my share of them, but most dont inspire me at all, and usually end up as mixers.
One I have had that I can sip all day is Don Fulano Reposado Metal.......delicious, and the other that stands up for me is Pura Sangre in the cactus series bottle, the regular bottling is good as well, but something seems to be missing, maybe it just mental as the bottle isn't very appealing compared to the cactus bottle. Gran Centenario and Herencia de Plata are specimens I have enjoyed as sippers on occasion, but on the other hand there have been times when I have had to force them down :(

#34 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:17 AM

Herencia de Plata are specimens I have enjoyed as sippers on occasion, but on the other hand there have been times when I have had to force them down :(

Twist my arm :D :lmao:

Regards,
Tim (HdP fan :) )

#35 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:58 AM

I also like Pura Sangre repo... I was amazed at how oxygenation really changed the taste after a new bottle had been left to "breathe" for 30 mins.! I haven't found this drastic a change in many other Tequilas..

#36 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:30 AM

I am a blanco guy but I want to know what you oak heads think. These are the only ones I tried at last Thursday's tasting , so I am listing them:
Trago Reposado
Partida Reposado

#37 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

And heressssss the Reposados

http://www.ianchadwi...amp;hl=reposado

I think we would prefer if all the newer members use these original posts for consistences sake.

I love your Johhny Carson; very original as well! For my information, who does the term "we" include? Did you mean consistency and not consistences(sic)?

As an "old boy" and one of the four or five moderators, perhaps you could be of assistance to this "newer member" regarding the operation of this board. Exactly how does one check to see if a topic has already been covered. My search was obviously not the correct one. My most humble apologies go out to you and anyone else who feels wronged or has suffered irreparable damage.

I am sure you have already posted when and how you came to be an aficionado and self proclaimed (your words -- according to a recent post you made) tequila snob; however if you have a few moments I would like to hear the story to see exactly where you are coming from.

It seems like most members of this forum are "just a bunch of folks who enjoy tequila." I like that. I am also a firm believer that we are all *deleted* on this bus!

Ana Valenzuela made the following comment on her blog:

"Todos creen saber la verdad, en el tequila, cada mexicano se siente dueño y señor de la bebida." And apparently a few foreigners feel that they are "the owners of tequila" as well. I hope no one on this forum!

Cheers! Let me buy you a few rounds. Let's have some fun!Posted Image

#38 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

Dolfin ....

Please refrain from duplicate postings.

And heressssss the Reposados

http://www.ianchadwi...amp;hl=reposado

I think we would prefer if all the newer members use these original posts for consistences sake.

I love your Johhny Carson; very original as well! For my information, who does the term "we" include? Did you mean consistency and not consistences(sic)?

As an "old boy" and one of the four or five moderators, perhaps you could be of assistance to this "newer member" regarding the operation of this board. Exactly how does one check to see if a topic has already been covered. My search was obviously not the correct one. My most humble apologies go out to you and anyone else who feels wronged or has suffered irreparable damage.

I am sure you have already posted when and how you came to be an aficionado and self proclaimed (your words -- according to a recent post you made) tequila snob; however if you have a few moments I would like to hear the story to see exactly where you are coming from.

It seems like most members of this forum are "just a bunch of folks who enjoy tequila." I like that. I am also a firm believer that we are all pendejos on this bus!

Ana Valenzuela made the following comment on her blog:

"Todos creen saber la verdad, en el tequila, cada mexicano se siente dueño y señor de la bebida." And apparently a few foreigners feel that they are "the owners of tequila" as well. I hope no one on this forum!

Cheers! Let me buy you a few rounds. Let's have some fun!Posted Image

#39 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

Dolfin ....

Please refrain from duplicate postings.

It was a triplicate.Posted Image

#40 chekm8

chekm8

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

:lmao:

this is quite amusing. dolfin, you're a crack up! :P

#41 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

1- Clase Azul
2- 1921 Reserva
3- 1921 Repo
4- ETRWL, ETR
5- CNR

#42 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

Not really a blanco or repo drinker...I'm more of an oak head, that's to say if it doesn't taste like somebody hit me in the mouth with a 2 x 4, I'm not really too much into it...but I do like a couple of repos.

1921 Reserva
1921 Repo
Clase Azul repo (next time I'm having pancakes)

#43 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

Not really a blanco or repo drinker...I'm more of an oak head, that's to say if it doesn't taste like somebody hit me in the mouth with a 2 x 4, I'm not really too much into it...but I do like a couple of repos.

1921 Reserva
1921 Repo

Its definately an after dinner or dessert type tequila. We just came home from a dinner at a local mexican restaurant.

#44 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

1 - Casa Noble
then, in no particular order:
Gran Centenario
El Tesoro dDF

...and that's it, as far as what I buy for home use. At least these days.

#45 dolfin

dolfin

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

(made by Jorge Salles Cuervo)

Related to Cuervo, I assume?

Went to College with one of his grandsons. Long story for sure. I'll make you wait until the Tequila Tour 2007 for it! ;)

Where did you and the crow kids buy your degrees? Not Monterrelleno Tech, I hope! Posted ImageHow was the lucha libre pole dancing con buenas simonas this week end? Have you tracked down a bottle Chirindongo?Posted Image

#46 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

naw, he uses it as a babe magnet :)

I think he just likes to bait us ... cause I didn't hear this story on the 2007 trip ...... :(

[Went to College with one of his grandsons. Long story for sure. I'll make you wait until the Tequila Tour 2007 for it! ;)

Lirubis;

Are you one of those latin guys who never shuts up and always has a story for everything?

That would make the two of us my friend! :P

#47 jeff

jeff

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

only have 3 in collection.Dos Lunas,Tres Mujeres,Espolon.enjoy them all

#48 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:48 PM

I'm fairly new to the fine tequila thing but here's my current list. It'll change alot I'm sure.

El Tesoro, Chinaco, Cabo Wabo, and Sauza: Tres Generaciones. El Tesoro and Chinaco win hands down for this list. I've had El Tesoro Repo twice, Chinaco repo once, Cabo Wabo repo 3 or 4 times (it started this whole thing), and 3G repo once. El Tesoro and Chinaco lead the pack and cost less than CWR. That's a no brainer right there. Thanks for pointing me here Sammy Hagar but I can do the rest now :) 3G repo was just ok. It wasn't unpleasant. It just wasn't great. A little sweet if you ask me.

I have many more I want to try and I'm compiling a list of honorable mention from this thread :)

#49 Dinosaur David B.

Dinosaur David B.

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

Old faves:

Don Fulano
Caballo Moro
Partida
Lapis
Purrasangre
Arette

Also great:
Oro Azul
Espolon

I recently tried Tezon and really like it.

#50 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

I pay close attention to what repeats in comments.

Edited by agaveblue, 24 August 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#51 agaveblue

agaveblue

Tequilero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

Add 1921 Reserva Especial to the list.

Trying it a second time a several weeks later. Definitely as good as the first time :) I can't wait to try their other reposado.

Edited by agaveblue, 25 August 2007 - 12:13 AM.

#52 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

1921 Reserva
1921 Repo

Now that I've done some 'research' into the reposado offering, I've come up with a new 'top 5' so to speak.

In no particular order (yet)...

Los Valientes
Chinaco (red label, 'olive oil' bottle)
Los Abuelos
1921 Reserva
ETRWL

I finally got to try the Chinaco this past weekend, thanks to Ballard. He was most gracious leaving it out for us to sample. A very pleasant tequila, nice wood flavor (not overstated), no alcohol burn...great finish. That's about all I could come up with based on a single glass.

#53 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

[quote name='Tonga' post='30268' date='Oct 22 2007, 09:21 AM'][quote name='Tonga' post='25319' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:33 PM

I finally got to try the Chinaco this past weekend, thanks to Ballard. He was most gracious leaving it out for us to sample. A very pleasant tequila, nice wood flavor (not overstated), no alcohol burn...great finish. That's about all I could come up with based on a single glass.[/quote]

T - I will concur on that. The old Chinaco Red Lable is one of my favorite Reps. I was lucky to pick up a couple for $40 ea. during one of my pillaging excursions. It is now on hoard status. I see them on Ebay for $60+.. a little steep for now unless one really can't find it elsewhere. Enjoy.

#54 TEPLimey

TEPLimey

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

I have really been enjoying my 1921 repo (not the reserva) lately. Its the perfect mix between my next two favourites, the "hot" agave flavour from CN and the smooth ET. I would put Clase Azul (notwithstanding its sweetness) as a #4. Oro Azul repo has also been a very enjoyable surprise for me at #5.

Noteably, I think I'd put Don Julio as my #5a, although its cost will always stear me towards the ET instead. Although I enjoy the DJ repo, I really do not like anything else in their line, with the excpetion of 1942, which is fantastic.

Edited by TEPLimey, 23 October 2007 - 10:59 AM.

#55 Oxybeles

Oxybeles

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

1. Casa Noble Reposado - Am I biased?
2. Milagro Reposado Select - A very close 2nd. Am I pedestrian?
3. 1921 Reposado - the Reserva is an Anejo in my book! And yes, Tonga is more than correct, as the label does state Reposado!
4. El Tesoro Reposado - Am I still biased?
5. Tie: 4 Copas Reposado and 7 Leguas Reposado - Am I superstitious? 4+7=11!

Edited by Oxybeles, 25 October 2007 - 11:59 PM.

#56 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

1. Casa Noble Reposado - Am I biased?
3. 1921 Reposado - the Reserva is an Anejo in my book!
4. El Tesoro Reposado - Am I still biased?
5. Tie: 4 Copas Reposado and 7 Leguas Reposado - Am I superstitious? 4+7=11!

1. Yes
2. Big time
3. The label disagrees with your book
4. Yes, but in a good way
5. Most assuredly

sorry, couldn't resist. :D

#57 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

I don't know if you are pedestrian, but that is an unusual choice for a top repo, especially given that your other favorites are popular choices around here. Is there anything particular you like about this one?

#58 Oxybeles

Oxybeles

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

I don't know if you are pedestrian, but that is an unusual choice for a top repo, especially given that your other favorites are popular choices around here. Is there anything particular you like about this one?

I would have to say the lingering finish, as it appears to last longer and finish stronger than any other reposado on my list, coupled with a nice numbing effect.

Additionally, although aged ten months, it still has a relatively vibrant citrus & agave streak on the tale end.

#59 Don Azulito

Don Azulito

• 1,303 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

Okay, I think I may have found a tequila I like as much, possibly more than, my favorite El Tesoro Reposado square bottle (and since acronyms are so popular here - ETR-SqB). Therefore, I would like to go on record as stating that Los Azulejos reposado (aka, "LAR" ;) ) has a very similar agave flavor as does ETR-SqB. So much so that I think those whom ET is one of their favorites may find LAR to be every bit as tasty as ETRSqB :t_up: .

#60 Los Altos

Los Altos

• Agave friends
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:00 AM

Okay, I think I may have found a tequila I like as much, possibly more than, my favorite El Tesoro Reposado square bottle (and since acronyms are so popular here - ETR-SqB). Therefore, I would like to go on record as stating that Los Azulejos reposado (aka, "LAR" ;) ) has a very similar agave flavor as does ETR-SqB. So much so that I think those whom ET is one of their favorites may find LAR to be every bit as tasty as ETRSqB :t_up: .

I think ETR is already the acronym for the square bottle.

If it's not ETWLR, then it has to be ETR and square. I think LAR is new, but may be confused with Los Abuelos repo.

So far I think "LA repo" is being used for that, but LAB for the blanco.

Sometimes one must take the context of the thread into account, so ETP can be Platinum or Paradiso.

It' not so easy to play the acronym game in the tequila world anymore. :wacko: