Whats it like? Good and bad

#272 Tequila Tourist

Tequila Tourist

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Tequila tourist: chaya? Really? Never had this but grover was bashing it

The first & second time I had the blanco, I freaking loved it.  The repo is medicore and the anejo is pretty terrible.  On Taste Tequila, they sampled the anejo.  I don't know what they do with the aging process, but they're doing it wrong.  The bottle I have has a big, fresh citrus flavor.  I like a citrusy blanco.  To each their own. 

One other thing to note.  I made the list in July of 2012.  At this point, I could probably name 10-15 more that I like better.  Hell, Fortaleza might be the only one of the 5 then that is still on the list.  7L would be hard to cut as well.  I need to go down the list of blancos that I have no and revisit the rankings.

#273 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the notes. Anyone love 4 copas blanco or any of their line? Is it worth the $50/60/70 price tag?

#274 *45*

*45*

Transcendent Agave Master

• 1,831 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

The first & second time I had the blanco, I freaking loved it. The repo is medicore and the anejo is pretty terrible. On Taste Tequila, they sampled the anejo. I don't know what they do with the aging process, but they're doing it wrong. The bottle I have has a big, fresh citrus flavor. I like a citrusy blanco. To each their own.

One other thing to note. I made the list in July of 2012. At this point, I could probably name 10-15 more that I like better. Hell, Fortaleza might be the only one of the 5 then that is still on the list. 7L would be hard to cut as well. I need to go down the list of blancos that I have no and revisit the rankings.

Guarantee your palate has expanded a lot since that July review. Go back and revisit it. While 1420 has had drinkable products, they've only produced one that was somewhat interesting to my palate; Farias. It had a smokey quality that was very mezcalish.

#275 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Guarantee your palate has expanded a lot since that July review. Go back and revisit it. While 1420 has had drinkable products, they've only produced one that was somewhat interesting to my palate; Farias. It had a smokey quality that was very mezcalish.

I´ve heard from some people that Davalos from NOM1420 is pretty good :S

#276 Tequila Tourist

Tequila Tourist

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

I went back and revisted it.  It was still pretty good, but not as much citrus as I remember, but it's pretty solid for $25.  I won't go out of my way to buy it again, but I'll at least enjoy it.  I went back and tried the repo as well and they really do a poor job of aging.  The anejo is flat out poor. 

Out of the rest of the juice from 1420, I've only had Don Ramon Anejo and I thought it was pretty good...although I can't remember it that clearly off the top of my head. 

And to answer Jaberiman about 4 Copas, it's probably not worth $50/60/70, but I think that you can get the entire line at Mission for $25/30/35 and it's a steal at that price.  The blanco is complex and earthy, but the gem of the line is the anejo, which is competitive with everything in the $50 category IMO.  I very much enjoy the entire line, but the anejo is my favorite. 

#277 jdjohn84

jdjohn84

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

I was actually able to sample some Chaya blanco tonight.  I can see how it might be appealing early in palate development (geez what a nerd I sound like).  I was liking it at first tonight, especially the nose with sweetness, butter, and spice.  But then I started getting a little sourness - just enough to make me question it.  I applaud Mr.Tourist for sticking his neck out on it, but it sounds like he has moved on since his initial list anyway.  That's why I hate choosing favorites of anything.  Tastes change, more choices come along, still others yet to be tasted, quality and consistency issues, etc.  My first bottle of Canicas silver was stellar - definitely top 5 (or even top 3) - but my second bottle of it seems a bit watered down.

#278 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

El conquistador blanco may be one of my favorite blancos on th current market, along with tap
  • Tequila Tourist likes this

#279 Tequila Tourist

Tequila Tourist

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

El conquistador blanco may be one of my favorite blancos on th current market, along with tap

Agreed.  I can find it around here (which is amazing in itself) for $26.  It's got a big citrus nose and taste...which is right in my wheelhouse for a blanco.  The anejo is a little bland, but the repo and blanco are really good deals for the price.

#280 Jaberiman

Jaberiman

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

Blew me away when i wasnt sure what to expect from the only bottle i hadnt tried at the bar. Blue bottle

#281 jdjohn84

jdjohn84

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Killed a bottle of Fina Estampa blanco last night...still my favorite.  Well, until I hit some 1921/1079 blanco...then that's my favorite :)

#282 Tequila Tourist

Tequila Tourist

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Killed a bottle of Fina Estampa blanco last night...still my favorite.  Well, until I hit some 1921/1079 blanco...then that's my favorite :)

It's been a while since I dipped into my Fina blanco.  So basic and full of agave, but so delicious.  Nice choice, but it's no Chaya.  :)

#283 jdjohn84

jdjohn84

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

It's been a while since I dipped into my Fina blanco.  So basic and full of agave, but so delicious.  Nice choice, but it's no Chaya.  :)

Chaya is on a different level for sure ;)

The banana notes in FE blanco are what always capture my senses.  I can't help but compare it to banana nut bread...a nicely fermented banana nut bread.

#284 TMats

TMats

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Lost my way for awhile. Never stopped enjoying tequila, just quit visiting the Forum. My taste in tequila has evolved only slightly, I never did drink anejos, but used to drink both blancos and reposados. Almost exclusively blancos now.

My favorite for years was Casa Noble, but it keeps changing, and with every change I like it less. Why do they do that?

Right now I like Tequila Ocho best;
I assume that I still like El Tesoro, but I haven't been able to buy it for awhile;
Herradura Blanco 46, if I can get it--usually Mexico;
Siege Leguas blanco--again, Mexico;
I've got a bottle of Herencia Mexicana--it has a finish that's not as clean as I like, but it's good;
Still like Chinaco;
Bought Casamigos for awhile, but got tired of it and probably won't buy it again.

Didn't really answer the question, I know. I'm kind of serially monogamous, I drink a tequila I like until I see something that interests me. Sometimes, my choices are limited by living in Wyoming, but it's the right place for me. Hello to old internet friends.