• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

Picking five blancos is tough, but it would be difficult picking reposados or anejos too for that matter. Before I tackle the reposados or anejos I thought I would take a stab at my top five blanco list. Only parameters is under $60, but price can be a consideration. Also, time and experience can change the list and the order... this is just a snapshot of my list as of right now :D

#5 El Tesoro ~$40... Edging out Fina Estampa and Casa Noble Crystal... El Tesoro is just so distinctive and really is a must purchase on my list.
#4 1921 Blanco... ~ $29...smooth but thick oily mouth feel, yet still retaining agave flavor... nice rounded blanco.
#3 El Llano Blanco (Same Distillery as Arette) around $32-$34... very big agave presence, light thin mouth feel with a floral signature, and similar to arette suave (IMO).
#2 Don Valente Blanco ~$50... exceptionally smooth, great agave presence, long lingering finish that does not disappoint... great for the agave junky :t_up:
#1 Los Abuelos Blanco ~$50 Just the best in a number of areas... the stone really leaves a mark but the smoothness, agave signature, and finish really is exceptional!

What would your list be? With tastes that differ I look forward to seeing what others would consider their top 5 B) Regards,
Tim

#2 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:54 AM

Tim--you're a great fisherman! I'll take the bait.

In no particular order, but all under $60 (at least here in ABQ):
  • Casa Noble Crystal
  • Fina Estampa
  • Arette
  • Siembra Azul
  • Los Abuelos
I'll have to give honorable mention to Lapis, 1921, Espolon/Corazon , Pura Sangre, and Pueblo Viejo.

Did I forget anyone? :blink:

#3 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:22 AM

My top five blancos, in order.

1. El Tesoro Silver (White Label)
2. Casa Noble Crystal (old version, not yet sure about the new)
3. Los Abuelos
4. 1921
5. Siete Leguas

One newer blanco that has impressed me a lot is 4 Copas, but I've only had it twice, so it's too early to say for sure. It is also pushing $60, which is hard to justify for unaged tequila.

#4 jiboo

jiboo

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:44 AM

I'm going to try Arette Blanco suave this weekend in Vegas if I can,but as of yet I haven't.right now I'm going with
5) El Tesoro Platinum- so consistently flavorful,and I've bought this more than any other tequila
4)Casa Noble crystal-definitive
3)Ley .925_ Have to throw this in there,it's so smooth and tastes so good
2)Siete Leguas-depth of flavor
1)Los Abuelos- make no mistake it's a winner

I just want to say that I haven't tried Fina Estampa blanco yet,and it's next on my list to buy.

Also,Don Valente blanco,I was so happy to buy this in it's beautiful "storyteller" decanter,just didn't like the taste.I've raved about Don Valente reposado in my blog,and believe it's a lot better than the bottle I have,I just need to try it again somewhere else.

Siembre Azul-great tequila,can't remember what it was like.

#5 Attilio_Bettega

Attilio_Bettega

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 373 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:08 AM

I am not nearly as experienced as the others, but I have tried a few great, some good, and some mediocre blancos.

My favorite has been Lapiz, I might like it better than CNC, but I am not entirely sure so they are tied for first....

1. Lapiz Blanco
1. Casa Noble Crystal
3. El Tesoro Platinum
4. Don Julio
5. Chinaco

Herradura Blanco Suave is also a good runner up.

(these are much better than Patron and especially Milagro or 3g blancos)

#6 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

Ok I thought I would post on this before reading anyone elses posts so my decisions are not swayed by the masses. :D I have only recently started to appreciate Blancos since the trip to Mexico, and I would say I think I have Los Abeulos to thank for that, I thought they where too hot and unrefinded. Now I know that they are a taste experience unto themselves, with their own special qualities. I also think it says allot about a distillery that can produce something so raw and still control the outcome to be a tastie spirit. :t_up:

So here is my top five.

1. Los Abuelos
2. Lapis
3. Casa Noble Cyrstal (two and three are tied depending on my mood)
4. 1921
5. Herencia de Plata

With honourable mention for Don Valente as I have only had one taste so far, and I can see it growing on me..... allot. I justed polished off my bottle of Lapis and it was darn hard not to pick up a bottle of it in Texas, still too many Tequilas to try, but someday I will be restocking this one. Others I like but have only tasted so I need to try more are Don Fulano regular and 100, Siete Leguas, CNG (brings tears to my eyes) Arette, Fina Estampa and 4 Copas.

#7 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

I would kill for a bottle of Abuelos. Damn you west coast people!!!

1. 1921 Blanco
2. Siete Leguas
3. Fina Estampa
4. CNC
5. Lapis

I loved the Tapatio Blanco, but I didn't have enough of it to really assess where it would land on this list so I can't include it.

#8 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

CNG (brings tears to my eyes)

Jerrett, I agree... I just tried my bottle (Casa Noble Joven/Gold) and I was BLOWN AWAY. I did not include on my list cause I think the influence of the wood is too much to consider it a blanco BUT it is an instant favorite of mine. In fact it motivated me to initiate a sequence of events that I will expand on more in another post.

To everyone else the posts are great because I forgot about some of these and there are a few I have not tried and will look to try soon!
Tim

#9 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

still shocked that you (or anyone else, for that matter...) would pick Del Llano blanco... :blink: too lame and sweet for a serious blanco, at least the one I had.

but anyway, here is MY list, revised as Jan 15, 2007:

- 7 Leguas. Strong, bold, pure and hard.
- El Tesoro de Don Felipe. Tasty, full of agave, simple but genuine.
- Casa Noble Crystal Delicious, pure agave flavor, smooth yet powerful.
- Fina Estampa. My latest discovery, extremely pleasing flavor structure, a bit soft.
- Centinela. kicks hard as a mule, packs the strongest, purest agave punch of 'em all!

In the bubble: Don Julio, Tapatio, San Matias, Herradura Blanco Suave, Los Abuelos, Amate.

Jerrett, I agree... I just tried my bottle (Casa Noble Joven/Gold) and I was BLOWN AWAY. I did not include on my list cause I think the influence of the wood is too much to consider it a blanco BUT it is an instant favorite of mine. In fact it motivated me to initiate a sequence of events that I will expand on more in another post.

To everyone else the posts are great because I forgot about some of these and there are a few I have not tried and will look to try soon!
Tim

Not to rub it in more, but right here, sight now, I have a full bottle of the now infamous CNG "lost batch" rescued from Vinos America here in GDL. The store ladies could not find the price and wanted to sell it at CNC price (around $40 USD), but I said nay-nay! ^_^

Purchase price was $350 MxP...

here is the pic...

#10 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

still shocked that you (or anyone else, for that matter...) would pick Del Llano blanco... :blink: too lame and sweet for a serious blanco, at least the one I had.

but anyway, here is MY list, revised as Jan 15, 2007:

- 7 Leguas. Strong, bold, pure and hard.
- El Tesoro de Don Felipe. Tasty, full of agave, simple but genuine.
- Casa Noble Crystal Delicious, pure agave flavor, smooth yet powerful.
- Fina Estampa. My latest discovery, extremely pleasing flavor structure, a bit soft.
- Centinela. kicks hard as a mule, packs the strongest, purest agave punch of 'em all!

In the bubble: Don Julio, Tapatio, San Matias, Herradura Blanco Suave, Los Abuelos, Amate.

No worries my friend, diversity of opinion is a good thing :t_up: I am a little shocked Don Julio is on your list but I respect your opinion enough to give it another try :) . I knew, based on discussion, that you did not think highly of Arette... I liked Arette Blanco Suave very much (one of the top five blancos from the trip for me). The El Llano reminds me very much of arette suave but at half the price. Arette Suave was one of the surprises and fond memories of the trip last March... El Llano reminds me of those days in March... AND the first time I tasted roasted agave. I left CNC off my list but in truth it is in my top five more often than not... it too reminds me of the first time I truly tasted agave (as you suspected tasting the agave opens a portal in the tequila universe!!!) :t_up: Regards,
Tim

#11 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Nice find, probably one of the last you will find in a store..... anywhere.

I was kinda surprised to see DJ on your list as well, it is decent but seems to have dropped quality drastically of late and not a true agave taste.(to my limited experience) Still the best of all three B,R,A. IMHO. Maybe they keep the good stuff for MX. :)

Tim

Not to rub it in more, but right here, sight now, I have a full bottle of the now infamous CNG "lost batch" rescued from Vinos America here in GDL. The store ladies could not find the price and wanted to sell it at CNC price (around $40 USD), but I said nay-nay! ^_^

Purchase price was $350 MxP...

here is the pic...

#12 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

Order subject to change, frequently, depending on mood:

1. Don Fulano 100 proof
2. El Tesoro / Tapatio
3. Los Abuelos
4. Siete Leguas
T5. Fina Estampa
T5. 1921

Casa Noble probably belongs on my list as well, but I haven't had it in a while. Need to revisit.

#13 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Not in any order:

1. Los Abuelos
2. 1921
3. Fina Estampa
4. CNC
5. Oro Azul - Millenium Ed.

Hovering in the background:
-Siete Leguas
-D' Los Altos
-Pura Sangre
-Partida
-4 Copas

#14 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

1. Don Fulano 100 proof
2. El Tesoro / Tapatio
3. Los Abuelos
4. Siete Leguas
T5. Fina Estampa
T5. 1921

Casa Noble probably belongs on my list as well, but I haven't had it in a while. Need to revisit.

I debated more than I should probably admit on whether or not I should put DF 100 in at my number 5 spot instead of Lapis. To me, DF 100 has the best finish of any tequila. It's really long and just radiates agave. It's really great, but I dig the citrus of the Lapis as well. I went back on forth on this, and even as I type now, I'm thinking I should've put DF 100 in at my number 5.

#15 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

I debated more than I should probably admit on whether or not I should put DF 100 in at my number 5 spot instead of Lapis. To me, DF 100 has the best finish of any tequila. It's really long and just radiates agave. It's really great, but I dig the citrus of the Lapis as well. I went back on forth on this, and even as I type now, I'm thinking I should've put DF 100 in at my number 5.

Don Fulano is a brand that I am really warming to. I had the blanco once and thought it was very good. My housemate bought me a bottle of the anejo for Christmas and I think it's also very good. (Strangely, I haven't been that excited about the Imperial.) I have not tried the repo, but it is on my list.

Anyway, have you compared DF and Lapis side-by-side? I believe they are from the same distillery (Tequilena), so I am curious how similar they are.

#16 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

I haven't done a side-by-side, but I've tasted them within a day or two of one another. Much like Cofradia's signature flavor, I find Tequilena's products to have their own specific traits as well. There's a sweetness, not as rich as caramel, but still very deep and flavorful, almost like an amaretto, and I've found it in DF's products more than any other tequilena brand, but it's in Lapis as well. As I said, though, I find Lapis brings a good deal of citrus to the table, and I don't recall that so much in DF 100. Very different experiences though and the comparisons are probably unfair as it's not up against the blanco, but the 100 blanco. I haven't had the regular blanco yet. The DF 100 is very explosive and much less subdued than the Lapis (which is still also very bold).

DF's Anejo and Imperial are among my favorite anejos.

#17 RLO1

RLO1

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

1) JB Wagoners
2) El Tesoro
3) 1921
4) Casa Noble
5) Canicas

Being an Añejo enthusiast, I haven't tried many blancos. My list would probably be different with more blancos under my belt.

#18 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:01 AM

I'm heartened to see 1921 on so many blanco lists! I know it comes up alot in passing on the Forum, but it's nice to see the SHOUT-OUTS in the top 5 territory! Did you superstars visit the 1921 distillery on the last tour? I think they make Oro Azul as well, yes?

#19 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

For the record, how many blancos are >$60 at this point in time in the US (assuming you are in an area with a reasonable tequila selection)?

Off the top of my head:
Penca Azul - $80
Arette Blanco Suave - $80
Patron Gran Platinum - $200
4 Copas - $60
Porfidio?
Gran Sol - $60

What else?

#20 agavemark

agavemark

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:53 AM

1.- Casa Noble Crystal
2.- Tesoro de don Felipe
3.- Siete Leguas
4.- Chinaco
5.- FE

#21 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

I think they make Oro Azul as well, yes?

And Frida Kahlo, which has a blanco that I love, but nobody else here seems to like it much. -_-

#22 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

3 Mujeres is also becoming quite popular down here lately. Very tasty, spiked agave notes, goes down hard. If it wasn't for that funny sweet-sour aftertaste... :blink:

#23 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

5. Chinaco

Attilio--you're on the $ with this one, too!

WOW!

I just bought a bottle of Chinaco blanco and it knocked my socks off! Full agave flavor from the get-go! In fact...

I didn't remember that it packed such a punch. :storm:

I'm going to have to rethink my list! :lightbulb:

#24 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

Frida! Yes, I forgot about that, SF. I like that blanco ALOT. It's too damned expensive, however. I will suggest this to you: According to Ryan, a Tres Agaves barkeep, that brand is the result of the agave glut. That "birthing" in conjunction with the feuding Kahlo heirs leads "many" to surmise that the FK brand has a VERY temporary lifespan.

If you like it, better buy a case or 2 because it'll be gone in due time.

-Detective Lip.. B)

#25 don Pablo

don Pablo

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

1. Don Fulano 100 proof
2. El Tesoro / Tapatio
3. Los Abuelos
4. Siete Leguas
T5. Fina Estampa
T5. 1921

Not that I want to quote myself, but I got a chance to revisit all these tequilas yesterday. (Thanks again Jim!) I would probably replace the 1921 with CNC. In that setting, the 1921 seemed out of place. Tasting CNC for the first time in while was like seeing an old friend. (But as you know, you probably don't want to see that same old friend every day...)

It struck me that Siete Leguas was the table wine of blancos. I could drink it anytime, anyplace, with any food. Doesn't blow me away, but it's pure and enjoyable.

As for a couple of others that people mentioned....I am not a big fan of the FK blanco. I got a bottle of that for Jim, and I don't think we were particularly impressed. Odd stuff. And Chinaco, that has been an interesting one for me. My current bottle tastes a bit like, gasp, Patron. Sharp, with hints (or more than hints) of lime. On its own, I am not thrilled with it. But with chips and a hot salsa, I really, really like it.

Finally, lirubis, what's with the cornholio avatar? I remember all your other ones -- and this one is a bit of a surprise.....

#26 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

Finally, lirubis, what's with the cornholio avatar?

I forget...

Is that Beevis or Butthead?

#27 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

I AM CORNHOLIO!

T.P. for my bunghole! :D

http://www.beavis-butthead.ru/yellow_articles_104.html

#28 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

Frida! Yes, I forgot about that, SF. I like that blanco ALOT. It's too damned expensive, however. I will suggest this to you: According to Ryan, a Tres Agaves barkeep, that brand is the result of the agave glut. That "birthing" in conjunction with the feuding Kahlo heirs leads "many" to surmise that the FK brand has a VERY temporary lifespan.

If you like it, better buy a case or 2 because it'll be gone in due time.

-Detective Lip.. B)

On the detective trail... did anyone else notice a distillery change for Frida Khalo? I have three bottles from NOM 1079:
Oro Azul Blanco (Millenium Edition)
1921 Blanco
Frida Khalo Blanco
which agrees with Secret Face's comment. But the NOM list on Tequila Dude's site says Frida is made by NOM 1465 (Fabrica de Tequila El Eden), who makes nothing else I've tasted or heard talked about. What's the deal? Those of you who had Frida and liked it, do you know which NOM?

Right now my bottle of Frida is unopened, but I'll get to it in the near future.

#29 lirubis

lirubis

• Agave friends
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

I forget...

you HAD to ask!!??

If there is ONE drinking binge I REMEMBER, and always will, is when this certain individual (who just happened to began reading this forum, and probably will soon join, and a SERIOUS reposado tequila aficionado with hundreds of gallons consumed during his life...) and I, got STUPID in P.V. back when we were in college. He actually STILL looks a lot like Beavis, but now with less hair and a "not-so-manly" moustache...

Anyways, he has this amazing talent, consisting in doing the "I am Cornholio" routine in the funniest of ways possible, and specially when having a few tequilas inside. Heck, I still rembember that night and laugh my behind off...and because we were ALSO celebrating a very personal and meaningful event for him that night...guys, it is probably the happiest/funniest event in all my life, the kind of laughter that makes your tummy ache and your mandibles feel squeaky!

I guess...Cornholio AND tequila mean the funniest event of my life... :lmao:

Besides...who didn´t like Beavis and Butthead back in those days?? :lmao: Sure beats "Chespirito" :lmao:

#30 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:34 AM

I forget...

you HAD to ask!!??

If there is ONE drinking binge I REMEMBER, and always will, is when this certain individual (who just happened to began reading this forum, and probably will soon join, and a SERIOUS reposado tequila aficionado with hundreds of gallons consumed during his life...) and I, got STUPID in P.V. back when we were in college. He actually STILL looks a lot like Beavis, but now with less hair and a "not-so-manly" moustache...

Anyways, he has this amazing talent, consisting in doing the "I am Cornholio" routine in the funniest of ways possible, and specially when having a few tequilas inside. Heck, I still rembember that night and laugh my behind off...and because we were ALSO celebrating a very personal and meaningful event for him that night...guys, it is probably the happiest/funniest event in all my life, the kind of laughter that makes your tummy ache and your mandibles feel squeaky!

I guess...Cornholio AND tequila mean the funniest event of my life... :lmao:

Besides...who didn´t like Beavis and Butthead back in those days?? :lmao: Sure beats "Chespirito" :lmao:

And you give ME a hard time for drinking El Llano blanco... perhaps you should have stuck with CNC that night :lmao:

:t_up: