• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31 don Pablo

don Pablo

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

I'm going to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo next week and want to bring back some tequila to the U. S. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to bring back with me. Does anyone know?

There are lots of posts on this subject. Perhaps do a search on "+duty +free" or the like. Technically, 1L duty free per person, though I just came back with $1,100 worth of tequila last week, encountering only mild opposition.

I just checked out http://www.hitimewine.net and tequilacompany.net and found their prices to be outrageous. That is, 50% to 100% more than what I can find them for here in Los Angeles if I shop around.

Well, don't just tease us, please let us know where you shop. I find it really difficult to believe you can get prices 50% better than Hi-Time or the Depot. Do you have any examples? (I can't speak for tequilacompany.net though, maybe they have bad pricing.)

#32 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:20 PM

For anyone that is interested .....

I am in the process of building a search engine that will go out and search the sites listed in this thread for their tequila, quantity (if applicable) regular price and sale price. You will be able to type in a tequila, or list of tequilas and will be provided with the results. The headers in the search results will allow for sorting by price if so desired.

If anyone would like to give it a test drive, I will be probably finishing it over the next couple of weeks. Also, if there are any sites that have been left out, I would definitely be interested to know, as I would like to add them to my search scope.

Regards

#33 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:16 PM

It seems he could find stuff for 50-100% less than any internet site has yet to respond. My thoughts ... he saw one or two bottles (like Cabo or Patron or Cazadores) that he could get at Costco once in awhile for cheaper than there inflated prices on those sites.

I challange you to find a bottle of Asom Broso Anejo for less than 175.

I'm going to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo next week and want to bring back some tequila to the U. S. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to bring back with me. Does anyone know?

Thanks for you help,
Randy

#34 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

I have never seen AsomBroso for less than $175 anywhere. Actually, I rarely see it anywhere!

Looking forward to the pricing search engine.

#35 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

Evangelos have you been to this place? Is it close to you? Prices look pretty good , i'd say about 50% of their tequila is on sale right now. They have JCRF for $69.99 :blink: , i think thats the cheapest i have seen it anywhere. I think its time to move to NJ. Have you been there yet?
http://www.shoppersv...ries.asp?cID=12

Wichie

#36 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

It's 40 minutes away from me, I went there once. It definitely has a good vareity of spirits. I did remember that I didn't think their pricing was very competitive though.

CN anejo - for 83, too high
CORAZON ANEJO - 70, too high
DON JULIO 1942 - 90 not bad but winelibrary in springfield has it cheaper
DON JULIO REAL - 280 that's a "good" price for real. i never see it less than 300
JOSE CUERVO LA RESERVA TEQUILA - 70 definitely a good price.
SOL DIOS ANEJO TEQUILA - 34, good rice, but not very good tequila

It looks as if they did mark down a lot of bottles. I would say overall, I thought their pricing was higher, but from this quick glance, there are bargains to be found.

#37 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the info. i wish the wine Library had their tequila on-line, i will have to compare prices before i come down there and see who is the best for what i want to pick up. (2 bottle Limit) WL is 16 minutes from where i will be staying and Vineyard is about 30mins. Wish i knew about these places last year. Oh well.

Wichie

Hope JCRF is still onsale by then might be tring to smuggle an extra bottle across.

#38 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:47 AM

Send an email to wine library and ask them for a list of all tequilas and pricing. (even the upstairs ones)
They may oblidge and send you a list so you can compare and contrast.

#39 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

Got a response... flattery will get you everywhere!

"Mr. Wichie,
Below are some of the high-end tequilas we normally
have in stock. Any further inquiries can be
addressed to me via email or phone (973) 376-0005

Penca Azul Reposado $79.99
Penca Azul Anejo $109.99
Milagro Romance $96.99
Milagro Barrel Select Reposado $59.99
Milagro Barrel Select Anejo $79.99
Don Julio 1942 $78.99
Don Julio Real $283.99
Embajador Jalisciense Reposado $57.99
Jose Cuervo Reserva de Familia $74.99
Patron Grand Platinum $162.99
Chinaco 30 Year Anniversary $259.99
Casa Noble Anejo $73.99"

Prices do look good i think i paided $85 bucks for my CNA from bottle king last year in NJ. I know where i'm going next year.... i am so excited i can't wait. :P

Wichie

#40 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

They are good people there and the place can nuts sometimes. If you like wine, they have a tremendous selection for those as well.

Glad you got a response, you'll have fun there. I did the 5 times I have been!

#41 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

I am in the process of building a search engine that will go out and search the sites listed in this thread for their tequila, quantity (if applicable) regular price and sale price. You will be able to type in a tequila, or list of tequilas and will be provided with the results. The headers in the search results will allow for sorting by price if so desired.

If anyone would like to give it a test drive, I will be probably finishing it over the next couple of weeks. Also, if there are any sites that have been left out, I would definitely be interested to know, as I would like to add them to my search scope.

Sounds neat! I would definitely be curious to try it when it is ready.

#42 jag

jag

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 391 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:51 AM

Nice! Emperador at $260, best I've seen is $300. It's a very good tequila, IMO, but I don't think it's worth that much. Still, if you simply have to have it, $260... man!

#43 kokopeli

kokopeli

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:59 AM

For anyone still checking this thread, do NOT use SendLiquor.com. :t_down: By giving all their shipments a "gift presentation," that's apparently enough to double the price, not including shipping.

Examples: CN Crystal - $115, ET Anejo - $98, and JCRF for $199. They even manage to list JC Gold for $44 without laughing (college freshmen may be foolish enough to drink it, but they won't pay $44 for it).

Sorry my first posting is on the negative side, but our state (Ohio) has placed ridiculous constraints on what Tequilas are available here so I tend to be a little bitter when discussing sales. The result is that I end up ordering Tequila online from a BevMo in Pasadena so friends of mine nearby can pick it up and ship it to me (online stores aren't allowed to ship anything other than wine to Ohio - the same odd rules).

#44 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:41 PM

delete

#45 jeff

jeff

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hard to get a decent price in washington ! So far I've purchased tequila from Shopper's Vineyard in new jersey,79.99 for reserva la familia,and 89.99 for el tesoro paradiso plus shipping,figure $12.CRown spirits in south florida sells Chinaco anejo for 33.99! just thought I'd pass it on.forgot to mention Crown only charges 7.95 for UPS ground.about 10-14 days either site

#46 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

Decent prices and a few locations.... in Florida.

http://www.crownwine...s.com/index.asp

#47 EndoT800

EndoT800

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

They a have a nice selection of tequilas at reasonable prices. I been there many times and look for the inhouse specials when available.

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/

Ooops! I thought they sold online. My mistake

#48 maris78

maris78

Newcomer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

By any chance...

Anybody has an idea how to find overseas prices?? Or online stores, but not in the U.S.??? :(

Any kind of help is truly appreciated.

#49 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

Any place specifically?

By any chance...

Anybody has an idea how to find overseas prices?? Or online stores, but not in the U.S.??? :(

Any kind of help is truly appreciated.

#50 TEPLimey

TEPLimey

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

For anyone that is interested .....

Any luck with this search engine? I am very interested to use it!

#51 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hey I found this site for online orders for UK members that delivers. They have some decent tequilas for sale, I don't know how easy Tequila is to get there...... they deliver to main land UK and the islands for an additional charge.

drinkon

The Herencia de Plata's seem like the best quality to price ratio for sale..... IMHO

I have never ordered from them so I can not vouche for their reliability or quality.

#52 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

It is my experience that you cannot find many good deals at all on the internet.
I just checked out http://www.hitimewine.net and tequilacompany.net and found their prices to be outrageous. That is, 50% to 100% more than what I can find them for here in Los Angeles if I shop around.

As far as finding stuff you may not be able to find in your local store in Kansas or somewhere, it may be a viable alternative. But if you live in or near a big city I am sure you can do better than the prices on these web sites, for the most part.

Interesting what a difference 2 years makes. I obviously don't know what's going on in the LA markets, but as for SF...you're not going to do too much better shopping around at all. As far as price goes, you're better off with a giant distributor than can order in million dollar lots like BevMo, Costco..etc. Even then you're stuck with their selection. The online selections available are vast nowadays and tend to run around or just a bit above BevMo pricing (by and large). There are still online merchants out there who have ridiculous pricing, but I think it's definitly better than it was back then.

#53 Attilio_Bettega

Attilio_Bettega

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

It is my experience that you cannot find many good deals at all on the internet.

As far as finding stuff you may not be able to find in your local store in Kansas or somewhere, it may be a viable alternative. But if you live in or near a big city I am sure you can do better than the prices on these web sites, for the most part.

It depends on where you live and what you order. For staples like Chinaco and El Tesoro that I can find easily, then no, it's cheaper to buy in person. However, hitime has an amazing selection and some of their prices are out of this world (31 dollars for a bottle of Casa Noble Reposado? AMAZING!)

Hitime also has very competitive prices for other hard to find things and in my humble opinion have the best selection and best prices for Grappa I have ever seen in the USA. Damn, I can find grappas there that I have a hard time finding even in Italy and accounting for the dollar/euro conversion is still reasonable given importation cost.

#54 heatmiser

heatmiser

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hi Times is a great liquor store. It easily has the best all around selection of liquor that I have come across. Their prices are (for the most part) very good. However, I can find quite a few items where they are priced much higher than other stores. As for tequila, the best selection would have to go to Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, CA. Their tequila selection is second to none in SoCal. Their prices are incredibly low as well...

#55 The Tequila Crab

The Tequila Crab

Newcomer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

With concurrence, Hi Times has been spectacular for response time, quick shipments, and communication. Their inventory of Tequila is broad and well-priced. BTW: I'm located in Northern California.

However, Wally's (Los Angeles) has been anything but! They have twice sent me the wrong item while flagrantly displaying an item on their website that is not in stock. It took considerable research and frequent conversations with them to determine this fact. The final return of the twice sent wrong item has not been credited to my charge card so I now have to go through the trouble of writing my bank with supporting documentation. Obviously I won't be doing business with them in the future. (This was my FIRST experience with them!)

#56 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:27 PM

However, Wally's (Los Angeles) has been anything but! They have twice sent me the wrong item while flagrantly displaying an item on their website that is not in stock. Obviously I won't be doing business with them in the future. (This was my FIRST experience with them!)

Yeah, getting incorrect shipments is always pretty harsh...and retailers take the very real risk of losing customers, especially if it's the first purchase. However I find myself giving vendors with a good history a break when they eventually do screw up an order. I'll count myself fortunate that my only order from Wallywine.com came on time in good condition. I've already got my next order for hitime planned because the prices were indeed among the lowest I've seen.

PS - :) Tequila Crab! That's great, HA!

#57 chekm8

chekm8

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

Doesn't anybody use Froogle?

They are changing it actually.....Google products now.

check out Froogle.com

Not always 100% but I use it everytime to check overall price points on tequilas.

#58 anejo

anejo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 471 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

HiTime is my number 1 source followed by W&LD in SoCal. When I order from HT I get my order the next day and shipping costs are minimal.

#59 LaD'Estribo

LaD'Estribo

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

I have been waiting to get my hands on El Don Plata Tequila and I just received an e-mail from them saying HiTimes has it in stock but know the site says ***Shipping Spirits in California Only at this time*** Anyone now what is going on with HT or is a this a regular thing on the site? :angry2:

#60 Tonga

Tonga

• Agave friends
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

***Shipping Spirits in California Only at this time*** Anyone now what is going on with HT or is a this a regular thing on the site? :angry2:

Don't know about if or when they've ever shipped outside the Golden State, but it's been a 'California only' thing for as long as I've been using it, and that's only been about a year.