3682 replies to this topic

#61 TMats

TMats

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

I imagine there's already been a topic string on this subject (this is a busy time of the year for me and it's difficult to spend much time here), but among the many tequilas I had not heard of was Frida Kahlo. There is a very serious attempt to organize a boycott of this tequila for several reasons.

This link does a better job of explaining the controversy than I could:
http://www.art-for-a...lo-tequila.html

A few points made by this and other sites:
1) The name was licensed by a niece (Isolde) who may not have a valid right to sell the name
2) Frida was an alcoholic who drank a bottle of tequila a day and certainly not for pleasure
3) The product launch party that took place in LA last fall was attended by just the crowd that Frida Kahlo wouldn't have been caught dead with (maybe I should amend that--in a sense, that's just what she was).

#62 SILVER

SILVER

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

And so the controversy continues.
It sure does taste good, though.

#63 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

I'll bite!

Tonight I had a smidge of CNC and a can of Tecate...... nice beer, I'm hooked. :t_up:
Thanks goes to Ian.

#64 Frodo

Frodo

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

Am currently into a bottle of Don Julio 1942. Big-time suprised that this much agave taste comes out in what I thought would be oaked to death. Nice and complex - a bit more so than many anjeos I've had before (Gran Centenario, La Corfradia, 4 Copas and Herradura come to mind immediatly). The premium charged for it is eye - opening though.

Have just finished the Corellejo Reposado Tripple Distilled and was impressed. I did try the regular Corellejo Reposado and Anjeo at an LCBO tasting tower (1/4 oz samples at pro-rated prices depending on the bottle), and felt that the flavour intensity was...more that I was used to. The Repo tasted like a blanco, and the Anjeo tasted like a Repo to my mind - not highly oaked. The tripple distilled I thought was going to be much softer - it wasn't. But I felt it was more oaked and therefore more balanced than the repo/anjeo.

Once I got past the intensity (peppery) the tripple distilled did have some nice complexity that I highly enjoyed!

#65 jim

jim

Knight of the Blue Agave

• Agave friends
  • 882 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Last night varquez valencia repo,siembra azul blanco, tonight looks like 7lb and ?

#66 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

Ok, I'll bite...

Just purchased a bottle of La Cava de Don Agustín reposado. Very tasty, and brought to you by the makers of Casco Viejo, too! :blush:

Last night varquez valencia repo,siembra azul blanco, tonight looks like 7lb and ?

How do you like that Siembra Azúl?

#67 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:19 AM

Casa Noble Reposado. Some nights this doesn't work for me, but tonight... delicioso!

#68 Partimer

Partimer

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

I had a "mini flight " of Partida A, and then Partida R at a new "Tequila Bar" , Salsas at the Florida Mall in MCO, A was too woody for me but the R was not too bad.

#69 Tequila Tim

Tequila Tim

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

We shared a Herradura Seleccion Suprema with family & friends at my sister's services last eve.
Needless to say I left with the bottle dry with out even a drop left.
Salud
TC

#70 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

I had a "mini flight " of Partida A, and then Partida R at a new "Tequila Bar" , Salsas at the Florida Mall in MCO, A was too woody for me but the R was not too bad.

I was there about a year ago. Not a bad place. Good selection (for Florida) and surprisingly good food. If you get a chance, try the blanco, if the age suits you. It's the best of their line, IMO.

#71 *45*

*45*

• 1,834 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:07 AM

We shared a Herradura Seleccion Suprema with family & friends at my sister's services last eve.
Needless to say I left with the bottle dry with out even a drop left.
Salud
TC

Sorry to hear about that Tim. Wishing you the best for you and your family in such a trying time.
-Khrys

#72 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss Tim, Laura and I can appreciate how difficult of a time this is for you. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

#73 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:56 AM

Last night: Chaya anejo. I tried this bottle (leftover from Tequilaugust) after a long break. It's actually pretty interesting, on the lighter side of anejos, with a very refreshing pear flavor and aftertaste. Not sure if this would become a favorite for many, but it is different and good. I'll post something in the tasting section in the near future. Try it if you get the opportunity.

Tonight: Fina Estampa blanco! I just got my shipment from WLD, which included this bottle. I am not getting uber snooty tonight, but my initial impression is very favorable. The flavor is very familiar; I cant tell if it reminds me of another specific tequila or if I am just responding to the intense, delicious agave.

#74 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

Tonight: Fina Estampa blanco! I just got my shipment from WLD, which included this bottle. I am not getting uber snooty tonight, but my initial impression is very favorable. The flavor is very familiar; I cant tell if it reminds me of another specific tequila or if I am just responding to the intense, delicious agave.

Don Silver had a guest spot on my posting for Fina Estampa, and he compared it to 1921. That could be the familiarity you sense.

Either that, or you're flashing back to the Blue Agave Tour! :fiesta:

#75 Alanleo10

Alanleo10

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

I just purchased a bottle of Tequila Arette Reposado Suave. I will be spending some quality time with it throughout the upcoming days. It is one of the best.

#76 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:10 PM

Either that, or you're flashing back to the Blue Agave Tour! :fiesta:

I don't think I had FE blanco on the tour. If I did, I wasn't in a state to remember it well! B)

#77 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

I hate you Gabe! I am definitely jealous! :growl:

I didn't see the FE blanco on their online list, did you have to call the guy there and get him to add it? They didn't have it when I last ordered, but I know there was some business that took place shortly after involving Fina and WLD. I'll definitely be picking that up with my next order. The Fina blanco, to me, has a very similar profile to Siete Leguas. Traditional, very light, flavorful, and, most of all, thorough. There are no lows to the tasting experience of the two tequilas. Cheers to your most excellent haul.

#78 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

I don't think I had FE blanco on the tour. If I did, I wasn't in a state to remember it well! B)

It was after the Penca Azúl tasting. That's when Todd and Clark broke out the Fina Estampa, and I had my first taste of the añejo.

Don't you remember? :clown:

What a great time! :fiesta:

#79 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

I hate you Gabe! I am definitely jealous! :growl:

I didn't see the FE blanco on their online list, did you have to call the guy there and get him to add it? They didn't have it when I last ordered, but I know there was some business that took place shortly after involving Fina and WLD. I'll definitely be picking that up with my next order. The Fina blanco, to me, has a very similar profile to Siete Leguas. Traditional, very light, flavorful, and, most of all, thorough. There are no lows to the tasting experience of the two tequilas. Cheers to your most excellent haul.

Yes, FE blanco is not on the list. The gentleman I talked to on the phone was more of a scotch expert, so I had to be explicit about wanting the blanco, and tell him that they did, indeed, have it in stock. I was right. :) The price is amazing, too, only $28!

And yes, the haul was small but excellent. Also included were Del Maguey Tobala, Penca Azul repo, and Casta repo. Yum.

It was after the Penca Azúl tasting. That's when Todd and Clark broke out the Fina Estampa, and I had my first taste of the añejo.

Don't you remember? :clown:

What a great time! :fiesta:

Yes, I remember that. I had the anejo but don't think I tried the blanco. I didn't stay up too late that night.

#80 CaliTequilaSipperGirl

CaliTequilaSipperGirl

• 1,172 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

Umm ..... Gabe, me thinks you don't remember that night so well :) You were up pretty late that night .... and I could share some memories that might trigger yours ... PM me :)

#81 Mike Morales

Mike Morales

Agave Olympian

• 3,439 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

Umm ..... Gabe, me thinks you don't remember that night so well :) You were up pretty late that night .... and I could share some memories that might trigger yours ... PM me :)

Somewhere along that night, she may have called you "Wusssy!" :fiesta: :drink:

No...wait...that was the night before! :clown:

#82 Sipper de Agave

Sipper de Agave

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

Godiva white chocolates and a snifter of Casa Noble Crystal... Ahhh what a way to end the night.

#83 anejospirit

anejospirit

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

Godiva white chocolates and a snifter of Casa Noble Crystal... Ahhh what a way to end the night.

Nice, I like the dark chocolate with the Casa Noble Anejo...

#84 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Ah, chocolates and tequila...

Chilly night here in the city... going to a mate a mug of homemade hot cocoa with a DJ1942 and hopefully celebrate the Mets win (or, conversely, it'll be good comfort in the traumatic event of a Mets loss...)

#85 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

I like cheese with my tequila, usually Manchego or Peccorino, but I've never tried chocolate. I'm always unsure about sugary foods with tequila because it may kill some of the agave flavor. Citrusy fruits are always good.

Anyway, tonight it'll be Siete Leguas and Don Fulano 100.

#86 Alanleo10

Alanleo10

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

Tonight I am finishing a bottle of Arette Reposado Suave.

Then I am on to Tres Mujeres Blanco and Don Abraham Reposado.

#87 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

Tonight I am finishing a bottle of Arette Reposado Suave.

Then I am on to Tres Mujeres Blanco and Don Abraham Reposado.

Let us know what you think of the Don Abraham. I picked up a bottle of the anejo at a restaraunt in old town. I believe they have some association with the ownership of the brand. I have seen mixed reviews (some really good and some so so) but have not tried it yet. It was a silver medal winner at the SF spirits competition but who knows what that means... I believe DP and Reifer tried it and indicated it was nothing special. I have had it for some time now. I got home and saw it was hand numbered on the back #000015 and have not been able to open it yet. Maybe someday :blink:

#88 Tequila Dave

Tequila Dave

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

I did the Partida Anejo last night. Very good tequila for a long session at the bar.

#89 Lippy

Lippy

Agave Olympian

• Agave friends
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:40 AM

I had a fun evening of tequila:

Fina Estampa blanco > CNC> Chaya silver >Pura Sange Anejo (Cactus BevMo bottle)> back to a wee nitecap of Fina blanco.

#90 Secret Face

Secret Face

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

I've been taking a small break from tequila lately and delving a bit into beer. I had a bottle of Trappiste Roquefort and a bottle of Gouden Carolus Grand Cru of the Emperor.

Over the weekend, I did have a few glasses of El Tesoro Blanco and Siete Leguas. I'm placing an order for FE B and R and a few others this coming week.