23 replies to this topic

#1 tommy_mcgee

tommy_mcgee

Newcomer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:32 AM

:beer:
Alright, let's settle this once and for all...
Which drink do find of the two mentioned drinks (Corona, Dos Equis) most pleasing to your taste buds? and please state your reasons why and also your favourite moments with that particular drink...
for me, it has to be Corona.

#2 heatmiser

heatmiser

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

Corona is extremely overrated in my opinion. I would much rather have a Pacifico, Dos Equis or Modelo. Just my $.02

#3 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

Personally, I prefer Tecate when in Mexico.

In Canada, it's easier to get Corona, but I think Dos Equis is better tasting (more of that crisp hoppy Euro beer flavour).

Pacifico and Victoria (Pee-toria) are okay/fair. Not a fan of Modelo (too much like American beer). Negro Modelo isn't bad, though.

Ian

#4 Vange

Vange

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:59 PM

Corona or my preference of Corona light is a good bbq beer or summer beer, but I think Dos Equis is a MUCH better beer in general.

#5 Wichie13

Wichie13

Agave Olympian

• Admin/Moderator
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

Im not a big fan of Corona, there is alot better out there, but I will drink it if its hot and the beer is cold. I like Sol better still light, with a little more taste. So I would take Dos Equis over Corona if I had the choice.Would like to try tecate.

#6 Sipper de Agave

Sipper de Agave

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

Well I am not a beer guy in general. However, if I am offered a Corona on a hot day (and I do mean hot), I will usually down it :)

#7 PRJack

PRJack

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

It frustrates me that we only get Dos XX dark in Canada. Not the same crisp beer that I'm used to in Mexico.

That said, I do tend to prefer Modelo or Victoria when there. Only tried Pacifico this last time - and nothing really wrong with it.

#8 ummadumma

ummadumma

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

dos xx or a frosty tecate!!!

love them frosty tecates!!!!!

ud

#9 vschmelzer

vschmelzer

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

Dos Equis or Corona lite not as skunky as Corona reg.

#10 larry mac

larry mac

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

There are two kinds of Dos Equis that I know of, Green label (not sure of the exact name) and Amber. Which one are you talking about? I haven't heard of a Dos Equis dark, unless that's the Amber.

Corona always had a strong aftertaste to me, unless you squeeze lime in it to hide the taste. I don't like an aftertaste in my beer, preferring a mild, smooth taste. Don't think you should have to add lime to it unless you just really want to. Sometimes I like to add lime to a beer but don't want to be forced to.

I always prefered Dos Equis Amber, that was my brand. I think it's better tasting than Corona, and smoother than Dos Equis Green. Never liked Dos Equis Green label. Corona IMHO, has always been way overated. Like Patron, people choose it 'cause they think it's popular.

best regards, lm

p.s., Can't drink beer now, but had lots of experience before.

Edited by larry mac, 21 December 2007 - 10:28 PM.

#11 PRJack

PRJack

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

There are two kinds of Dos Equis that I know of, Green label (not sure of the exact name) and Amber. Which one are you talking about? I haven't heard of a Dos Equis dark, unless that's the Amber.

Corona always had a strong aftertaste to me, unless you squeeze lime in it to hide the taste. I don't like an aftertaste in my beer, preferring a mild, smooth taste. Don't think you should have to add lime to it unless you just really want to. Sometimes I like to add lime to a beer but don't want to be forced to.

I always prefered Dos Equis Amber, that was my brand. I think it's better tasting than Corona, and smoother than Dos Equis Green. Never liked Dos Equis Green label. Corona IMHO, has always been way overated. Like Patron, people choose it 'cause they think it's popular.

best regards, lm

p.s., Can't drink beer now, but had lots of experience before.

yup... Amber is what I was refering to ... just had some a couple of days ago with lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Toronto that has a very nice selection of Tequila (Bandidos on King Street - ask for Cesar).

#12 Coyote

Coyote

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

Frankly I have always found Corona to be rather bland. An okay thirst quencher (cold) when it's hot and if the only Mexican beer handy for Cinco di Mayo, I can drink it. I prefer Tecate. Dos Equis is a fine brew in a typical German or Netherlands style lager.

#13 QuintoSol

QuintoSol

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Being a wannabe beer-snob, I don't care for either brand. My favorite mexican beer is bohemia; incidentally, I am drinking one right now after running seven miles.

#14 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

In the last 6 months I have become a total beer snob to accompany my wine snobbiness and spirit snobbiness......
I wont drink corona or dos equis anymore....look what ive become!?!?!?

#15 Don Azulito

Don Azulito

• 1,303 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

The RiteAid by my house sells 30 packs of Dos Equis for $16.99, at the price and a squeeze of lime and I'm a happy camper!

#16 Green & Red

Green & Red

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Which drink do find of the two mentioned drinks (Corona, Dos Equis) most pleasing to your taste buds? and please state your reasons why and also your favourite moments with that particular drink...

Dos Equis green label (lager) in a Michelada! Corona is like the Budweiser of Mexico, pretty standard and flavourless

#17 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

If I must have a Dos Equis, let it be a ripe one. Would that be an ale or a coloured lager? There's a lot worse beers to be had.

#18 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

Since it's distributed by one of the Big Breweries in Ontario, a lot of bars that offer fermented cardboard Blue, Canadian, 50, Coors and Bud also offer Corona. So unless the bar has a microbrewery product to offer, I drink it because I'd rather die before I let fermented cardboard Blue, Canadian, 50, Coors and Bud pass my lips.

But I still would rather drink Dos Equis.

And of course both have to come with a wedge of lime!

#19 PaulG

PaulG

Agave Aficionado

• Agave friends
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

I can drink either, but being from the northwest it's not beer unless it's a microbrew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the brands are endless

#20 PRJack

PRJack

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

Happy times!! some LCBO stores are carrying Tecate in cans! YUM!

#21 spinozaguy

spinozaguy

Newcomer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

Just thinking about a Corona gives me a heaache! Pacifico, Dos Equis or Negra Modelo for me.

#22 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

Happy times!! some LCBO stores are carrying Tecate in cans! YUM!

Yeah - but it seems a spotty supply. We bought a case of 24 in the spring, and haven't seen it since.

#23 Martin Rowoski

Martin Rowoski

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:00 AM

i find Corona Better, i prefer the corons'd with blackberry and strawberry ripe with traditional 15-month storage at American oak barrels..
i have collected few at http://www.vivino.co...vintage_id=4601
and trust me it is better than Dos Eqis

#24 Don Azulito

Don Azulito

• 1,303 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

I recently purchased a kegerator and my first fill was a Ballast Point Heffy (Wahoo Heffy, to be exact) but the next in line will be a Dos Equis. Looking forward to sipping some fresh XX straight from my "green" kegerator!...cause, ya know, we all gotta do our part. Think globally, act locally.....and all that jazz....? :D