• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

So I stopped by one of the big Liquor Stores on the way home... the kind where they need a wall ladder to get the bottles off the top shelves. As I was looking at what they had I noticed a fading bottle that I thought said Mezcal on one of the top shelves. So I asked one of the guys to ck if it was a bottle of Del Maguey and they scampered up and after turning the bottle said yes indeed it was. I asked to see the bottle. It was a bottle of the Chichicapa, and the bottle looked very old.
Posted Image
Notice no mention of "Single Village Mezcal" on the label and the bottle is clear.
The cork is not discolored at all and the seal looks like it has remained intact with no problems. Here is a view of the wax on the front:
Posted Image
and from the back:
Posted Image
It is hand numbered number 196 of 2760
Posted Image
It has a saying and the story of Del Maguey printed on the inside of the label but again does not use the words "Single Village" instead saying "tiny remote villages". I can find no other way to tell what year it was made in... does anyone have an idea how old it is? The color of the mezcal is not the slightest blonde or honey color but the color does not appear to be from the cork (plus the bottle seems to have set upright on the shelf foe years).

I liked all of the mezcals Ron shared with the exception of the creama. I have been wanting to pick up a bottle or two and couldn't resist this one. Best part... when I mentioned the bottle looked old and the wax was falling off, the owner said he would give me $10 off so I paid $59 :)

Any ideas on how old this might be will be appreciated. For now this bottle is hitting the display shelf and remaining unopened. I picked up a bottle of CNC to tide me over :fiesta: Regards,
Tim

#2 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

OK,
The ones we had, the corks were in fine condition so no problem there.
No, it doesn't age in the bottle, but if sealed correctly, the taste should not have degraded either.
Just in case, to open, do this. Turn the bottle up side down and slowly tug and twist on the cock until it frees up. Remember, it's been stuck in that position for 10 years.
Use a lot of "feel" and it should come off in one piece.
Good luck and salud!

#3 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:35 PM

WOW... everything I remembered and more from the tasting with Ron. I couldn't resist trying a little tonight. 10 years on a shelf was long enough. The nose is smoky with very slight hints of citrus (IMO). The first sip is smooth but even though there is no perceived harshness and it feels like the elevated alcohol levels (95.6 proof) are subtly soaking directly into my tongue and lips (talk about lip buzz). A pronounces smoky flavor unlike any liquor I have ever had. Texas Brisket is close to describing the smoke flavor. Not BBQ, but the smoky flavor food gets when slow roasted using hard woods or fruit woods. Smelling the empty glass reveals a smell similar to a smoker at rest. A long smoky finish. Secondary sips reveal a sweetness that is masked from the first taste and the smokiness recedes only slightly but remains on the nose. Both the attack and exhale are mild on the approach but long on flavor. I remember getting small samples at Ron's presentation and after a couple sips of this '96 Chichicapa I realize it does not take very much to make an impression. Although I had been sipping great tequila earlier in the evening this Mezcal really warms old bones and lingers with distinction. I will definitely be looking for more!!!
Tim

#4 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

nice find!!

#5 TequilaPicker

TequilaPicker

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

I found a 2003 Del Maguey Chichicapa today, in perfect condition. I understand it's great juice but the asking price is $130. Should I pull the trigger?

#6 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Boy Picker, tough one there.  Seems they were getting $60-80 for Chichi's but for one of those older ones, hmmm, tempting number.

#7 La.Casa.de.Tequilas

La.Casa.de.Tequilas

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

The 2003 production was already in the emerald green bottles correct??   :unsure:  If not does anyone know the time frame when they switched from the clear bottles to the emerald green bottles??

#8 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Seems high to me. Obviously the bottle's been on the shelf awhile, so be patient, visit it from time to time, then make an offer.