Photo
- - - - -

Del Maguey Tobala

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Del Maguey Tobala

Nose

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Body/Taste

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Aftertaste/Finish

Overall Impression

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

Tobala mezcal is made from wild, shade-grown agave in the highlands around Oaxaca. A limited number of bottles are made for sale. Del Maguey is, to my knowledge, the only company offering it commercially. Tour members got a chance to taste this mezcal at our farewell dinner, in Guadalajara, Saturday night.

#2 Iron Chef

Iron Chef

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

Tobala mezcal is made from wild, shade-grown agave in the highlands around Oaxaca. A limited number of bottles are made for sale. Del Maguey is, to my knowledge, the only company offering it commercially. Tour members got a chance to taste this mezcal at our farewell dinner, in Guadalajara, Saturday night.

Although many of the members of our tour appeared to be less than enthusiastic about the Del Maguey mezcal I noticed many, like myself, that were fascinated. The smokiness, good alcohol lip buzz... and lingering finish were very different than tequila. In fact the smokiness tasted to me like food that is smoked, it enhanced the earthy flavors and gave depth to the Mezcal. The added pleasure of listening to Ron tell us about each mezcal and the stories of the people who make the mezcal was a great part of the experience. My favorite was pouring the tobala over the flan (as recommended by Ron who was sitting at our table)... the sweetness of the flan and the smokiness and buzz from the mezcal made for a memorable dessert!! I felt very privledged to be at the presentation and it was a great way to wind up the trip. Some Del Maguey is definitely in my future!!!

#3 mezcalerokuam

mezcalerokuam

Newcomer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

Of the Del Maguey offerings, I've had Chichicapa, San Luis Del Rio, Pechuga and Tobala. They all have their unique characteristics, but Tobala is my favorite. Good body and the complexity is indescribable. The fruit/spice/smoke is all integrated very well and the body is pretty healthy. Every Mezcal lover should try it.