Photo
- - - - -

Del Maguey Pechuga

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Del Maguey Pechuga

Nose

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Body/Taste

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Aftertaste/Finish

Overall Impression

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

At our farewell dinner for the end of our 2006 tour, Ron Cooper presented the company with a rare bottle of Del Maguey's Pechuga mezcal, one of only three in Mexico at the time, as he awaits testing and approval for this traditional - and rare - mezcal.

I had the opportunity to try bottle number 4 out of his total production for 1999. It received raves from all of our tasters and was unanimously agreed upon as the best of the tasting that included tequilas and other mezcals.

Pechuga is 100% agave, made from Ron's single-village Minero mezcal. The mezcal is double-distilled, then soaked with local fruits and nuts to soften and sweeten it. Then it is distilled for a third time - this time with a chicken breast - pechuga - hung in the distillation room to ward off bad spirits.

I have a particular affection for the smoky, rich aromas and flavours of good mezcal, and really appreciate Ron's efforts to bring traditional, small-production products to the market. I've tried all of his products, and like pretty much everything he has to offer.

The pechuga is sweeter than some other mezcals, and from conversations around me, seemed to be more palatable to the tasters who were more accustomed to the mellow body and aromas of tequila. Mezcal is a stronger, more demanding spirit, and not to everyone's taste. But I like it a lot - and in some cases more than tequilas.

I think Del Maguey Pechuga is possibly the best mezcal in production, although I am also smitten by Del Maguey's Chichicapa and Tobala (wild agave) mezcals.

#2 Tequila-Dude

Tequila-Dude

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

I totally agree with your post Ian, I've tried the Del Maguey mezcals and love them all. We were at the dinner party last week at Chama in Colorado, and both Ron Cooper and Jaime Munoz were there promoting there tasty mezcals. Ron even shared some 11 year old Chichicapa from his flask that was incredible. Jaime's product (joven/reposado mezcal) from Los Danzantes was excellent as well, and I believe his product will be available in the US in a few more months. A most memorable occasion. :t_up: :t_up:

#3 gabe

gabe

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

Jaime's product (joven/reposado mezcal) from Los Danzantes was excellent as well, and I believe his product will be available in the US in a few more months.

Could you comment more about this, or even start a new topic in the Mezcal section if there's enough to say? Is this a new brand altogether, or does it fall under the Del Maguey umbrella?

#4 mezcalerokuam

mezcalerokuam

Newcomer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

I really enjoyed the Pechuga, but actually found that the chicken, while not in opposition to the fruity and spicy complexities, was almost a distraction to me. Interesting, but didn't quite do it for me. Because of this, as of now, of the Del Maguey line, I prefer the Tobala over the Pechuga.

Edited by mezcalerokuam, 23 October 2009 - 11:17 PM.