• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Also just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed; barrel proof.

#92 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

The Wild turkey is very good. i actually prefer it to the Knob Creek single barrel.

#93 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

My Four Roses thoughts: regarding the bottle of Limited Edition Small Batch, I need to re-taste because I wasn't crazy about it. At 111 proof it does need a bit of water, and I thought it was good all the way up to the finish. It struck me as really dry and just seemed to lie down. Like I said, I need to go back again, way too early to make any declarations.

Earlier this week I tried the standard Single Barrel edition, and that I really like. I could see the family resemblance between this and the LESB, but the finish was much more of what I expect from a quality bourbon. I'm thinking that next week I might try a side-by-side tasting of the Single Barrel and Small Batch (the regular small batch, not the LE), just for giggles.

• duffneggs likes this

#94 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

My Four Roses thoughts: regarding the bottle of Limited Edition Small Batch, I need to re-taste because I wasn't crazy about it. At 111 proof it does need a bit of water, and I thought it was good all the way up to the finish. It struck me as really dry and just seemed to lie down. Like I said, I need to go back again, way too early to make any declarations.

Earlier this week I tried the standard Single Barrel edition, and that I really like. I could see the family resemblance between this and the LESB, but the finish was much more of what I expect from a quality bourbon. I'm thinking that next week I might try a side-by-side tasting of the Single Barrel and Small Batch (the regular small batch, not the LE), just for giggles.

I'm curious to read what the results of your side by side are. I enjoyed the (regular) small batch but preferred the single barrel. I think bourbon should have "bite". My top three currently (in order of preference) are:

1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed (barrel proof - 108.2)

2. Knob Creek Single Barrel

3. Four Roses Single Barrel

#95 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Has anyone tried the "new" Bulleit 10 yr? I quite like their regular offering, particularly at the price, and am curious about this one.

#96 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Not yet tried the 10 yr, hopefully soon. I did get to try three expressions of Woodford Reserve yesterday: a single barrel of their standard, the double oaked and four wood. I have to say I just didn't care for the line in general, and the only one that even mildly interested me was the four wood, but no way I'd buy at close to $100 per bottle. It did have a fantastic nose though, but let me down taste-wise. Oh well, it was a free tasting event and I'm glad I went.

#97 duffneggs

duffneggs

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Not yet tried the 10 yr, hopefully soon. I did get to try three expressions of Woodford Reserve yesterday: a single barrel of their standard, the double oaked and four wood. I have to say I just didn't care for the line in general, and the only one that even mildly interested me was the four wood, but no way I'd buy at close to $100 per bottle. It did have a fantastic nose though, but let me down taste-wise. Oh well, it was a free tasting event and I'm glad I went.

Interesting that you say that about the Woodford. I was also disappointed by it; it was highly praised by a few whom I had spoken with, but I just didn't feel the same way. Perhaps my expectations were too high given the praise I had heard, but I'm not convinced that's it. I went back at a later date for a second try and was still dissatisfied.

#98 Don Nom

Don Nom

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I would try any of the Woodfords again under the right circumstance (ie, if it was free lol), but I won't seek it out. But speaking of giving things a second chance, my Four Roses Small Batch Limited is growing on me. It does take a few drops of water to find the "sweet spot" for my palate, but when I do hit it I find it to be very complex and interesting.

#99 Vange

Vange

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hey boys and girls.  Just visitng this forum I used to live on years back!  ive moved away from tequila and am more into whisky (bourson and scotch), wine, and craft beer the last 3-4 years. 

i will say the limited allocations of boubron (pappy) and beers is a sad state of affairs for me.  what used to be readily available and affordable is now crazy.  I do score a 20 and 15 of pappy each year, but im paying so much than i used to.  Im glad i stockpiled 13 pappy 20s at $80 each years ago and about 4 pappy 23s (oncluding first edition in the tinted bottle, a rye recipe not wheat).   

Anyway, ill be browsing around here for a bit, but feel out of sorts as i only keep 5-10 anejo tequila in stock nowadays.

#100 bpacifica

bpacifica

• Agave friends
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for your input Vange.  I, for one, have always gleaned much good info from you posts, both past and present.  Salud.

#101 Vange

Vange

• Agave friends
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

the other thing i collect bourbon-wise is the BTECs

http://greatbourbon....ntal-collection

I have every set thus far. 

#102 vanguero

vanguero

Agave Paladin

• Agave friends
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Has anyone tried the "new" Bulleit 10 yr? I quite like their regular offering, particularly at the price, and am curious about this one.

distilled on contract by Four Roses. Speaking of finally received the 11+ year Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength OBSV from Binny's the other day. This a was a small feat to get to MX. At 62% (124 Proof) thought I'd need to add a smidge of water but nope... nice settle spice,burnt brown sugar,vanilla, pitted berries (cherry),black licorice,tobacco... just a lot going on with the nose & taste. cheers

#103 Frodo

Frodo

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Picked up 7 bottles of the Four Roses 125th Anni bottling. Really nice stuff this...