El Senorio Mezcal

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Keeper_Didymus_Guest

Guest_Guest_Keeper_Didymus_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:38 AM

Hello...

I have come across the El Senorio Range of Mezcal's recently and would like to get others thoughts on the brand and it's range?

Many thanks
Keeper

#2 SILVER

SILVER

Transcendent Agave Master

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:49 AM

I've never heard of it myself, but, would that be Senorio or Señorio. Just wondering how to pronounce it.

#3 Keeper

Keeper

Keen sipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

I've never heard of it myself, but, would that be Senorio or Señorio. Just wondering how to pronounce it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Senorio is the correct spelling.

#4 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:09 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Senorio is the correct spelling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's El Señorio, with the tilde. My co-worker just gave me a bottle for my Tequilaugust party tomorrow--I'm staring at it right now. He said it was one of his favorites from his trip to Cancun a while back, although he is not a serious tequila/mezcal drinker.

The brand is only available in Mexico, but they have a nice website: El Señorio. I'll let you know what I think of the taste next week, although this will also be the first real mezcal (no worm) I've tried, so it might not be a useful opinion.

#5 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hey, thanks. One thing though, don't try to compare it to tequila. Even the finest mezcal tastes very different from tequila. It's a great taste all of it's own though and for some reason goes very well with BBQ., especially the greasier meats.

#6 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hey, thanks. One thing though, don't try to compare it to tequila. Even the finest  mezcal tastes very different from tequila.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shoot. That's basically all I've got to work with. Well, that and Gusano Rojo, but I hope these two are not in the same league! Any suggestions for how to taste or subtleties to pay attention to?

#7 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

What I could suggest is for you to drink both. Look for similarities and the the differences. Belive it or not, I had a mezcal once that was worse than Gusano Rojo. Dos Gusanos was it.

#8 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:43 AM

Mezcal should say 100% agave, just like tequila. If it doesn't, it's a mixto. That's not an assurance of quality, but - like with tequila - it's a start. The only assurance you have is that if it is a mixto, it's not pure, and therefore not very good.

I would not buy any mezcal not labelled 100% agave.

#9 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

Mezcal should say 100% agave, just like tequila. If it doesn't, it's a mixto. That's not an assurance of quality, but - like with tequila - it's a start. The only assurance you have is that if it is a mixto, it's not pure, and therefore not very good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

El Señorio is 100% de agave (as is Gusano Rojo). I tasted it (the reposado) over the weekend and thought it was pretty good. However, I was pretty overwhelmed by its smokiness. This is new to me, but many of my friends who are are whiskey drinkers enjoyed it, since some whiskeys have a similar flavor.

#10 Jetexas

Jetexas

Jimador

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking to try some Mezcals any suggestions? It's been 20 years since I have had Mezcal and it was the typical worm in the bottle variety. I remember is tasted like a burning Mexican field...

#11 Sipper de Agave

Sipper de Agave

Tequilero

• Agave friends
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

I remember is tasted like a burning Mexican field...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeez, that description just sounds awful.

#12 ollie3856

ollie3856

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:21 PM

I remember is tasted like a burning Mexican field...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeez, that description just sounds awful.

I'm actually a huge fan of El Senorio Mezcal, especially the Anejo, it has a very unique smoky flavor. I had it for the first time 2 years ago and unfortunately forgot the name for about 6 months until I went back to Mexico and recognized the bottle, and picked up 3 to bring back with me...does anyone know if you can buy it anywhere in the US?

#13 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:33 AM

Mezcal takes some getting used to. It varies from brand to brand in huge ways. Some is simply awful - the big commercial distilleries that make the "popular" brands come to mind. But some is so amazing it will bring tears to your eyes - not sadness but wonder. Del Maguey's Pechuga is one of those. In our tastings it consistently rated the highest every time out of 10-20 tequilas and mezcals. Their tobala mezcal - made from wild agaves - held that spot (while it lasted) before that.

My entire relationship with mezcal turned around when I opened my first Del Maguey bottle. I was stunned at its quality, its smoothness, its wonderful flavour. I've had some good mezcals other than theirs, but none has been its equal.

#14 ollie3856

ollie3856

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:01 PM

Mezcal takes some getting used to. It varies from brand to brand in huge ways. Some is simply awful - the big commercial distilleries that make the "popular" brands come to mind. But some is so amazing it will bring tears to your eyes - not sadness but wonder. Del Maguey's Pechuga is one of those. In our tastings it consistently rated the highest every time out of 10-20 tequilas and mezcals. Their tobala mezcal - made from wild agaves - held that spot (while it lasted) before that.

My entire relationship with mezcal turned around when I opened my first Del Maguey bottle. I was stunned at its quality, its smoothness, its wonderful flavour. I've had some good mezcals other than theirs, but none has been its equal.

EL Senorio is one of only 2 brands I've tried, the other one near dissolved my tongue, it was awful.

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone knows of anywhere one can purchase (in person or online) good Mezcal in the US, particularly the El Senorio brand!

#15 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

Look for Del Maguey Mezcal. Or ask them on their website: www.mezcal.com. Their mezcal will make your head spin, it's so good!

#16 ollie3856

ollie3856

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

Look for Del Maguey Mezcal. Or ask them on their website: www.mezcal.com. Their mezcal will make your head spin, it's so good!

fantastic...great to see they ship to california too!

are there any of the Del Maguey Mezcals you recommend over others?

#17 ollie3856

ollie3856

Newcomer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

fantastic...great to see they ship to california too!

are there any of the Del Maguey Mezcals you recommend over others?

happy to say I picked up a bottle of the minero and of the chichicapa

opened the minero and feel like I'm breathing for the first time, what an amazing flavor...absolutely delicious!

#18 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

I have a passion for Del Maguey mezcals and think they are even better than most tequilas (blasphemy!).

#19 SILVER

SILVER

• Agave friends
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

I have a passion for Del Maguey mezcals and think they are even better than most tequilas (blasphemy!).

¡Caray! I would tend to agree, in part, with you. They do produce a fine spirit, that in the right time and place, are just so fine.

#20 Ian Chadwick

Ian Chadwick

Administrator

• Admin/Sysop
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

I should qualify... there are 700 or so brands of tequila listed on the CRT site, and a couple of hundred more for export only (sometimes the same as the domestic brand but a different label and name). I have not tried them all, by a long shot, and I would not willingly allow a mixto to cross my palette, so I limit myself to only the 100% products.

There are a dozen tequilas I really like. There are a dozen or so more I enjoy. And maybe a dozen more I'll drink if nothing better is available, and if offered them by a host, I will usually refrain from making cutting comments about the quality.

There are probably 300 I wouldn't even use to clean my paintbrushes (all of them mixtos). There are probably 300 more I woudn't buy on principle or from past experience, at least without a strong recommendation from someone here.

Del Maguey has less than a dozen brands and every one I've tried (about six or seven of them) has been superb.

I've tried maybe two dozen mezcals, ranging from Del Maguey's premium Pechuga to home brew sold in recycled pop bottles. I've had a dozen superb ones, half-a-dozen okay ones, and the rest mediocre to awful (the homebrews, by the way have been at both ends of the spectrum).

So, on a per-capita scale, there are better mezcals than tequilas - but that's merely in my experience. I'm still open to be convinced otherwise... of course I'll need to do a LOT of research....

#21 gabe

gabe

• Agave friends
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

A brief update on the El Seniorio brand. On my way out of Guadalajara I picked up two black bottles, "Reposado Extra" and "Anejo". These were the two (out of four) in the lineup that didn't have a worm in it, and cost $20 apiece. The original bottle I got was just labelled "Reposado", and it had a cork. The new bottles have a screw top with a slow-pour device. When I look more closely, it also looks like the producer has changed. The newer bottle lists "NOM 011X" (?), while the old reposado lists "NOM-070-SCFI".

I had a quick taste of the anejo when I got back. It was decent but not overly complex. I will taste more thoroughly in the near future, but I suspect the quality of this brand is not quite as high as it used to be. Buyer beware.

#22 jesus Miguel

jesus Miguel

Newcomer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

Greetings.

My name is Jesus Miguel. I work for the company Bugarin Exportaciones of the mark "Mezcal El Señorio". for to know our products and to buy please writing to the following mail goperacion@elsenorio.com and visit the website www.elsenorio.com

Kind regards.
Jesus Miguel
Bugarin Exportaciones S de RL de CV
+52 (951) 549 1191

#23 singeroi

singeroi

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

hi jesus miguel, i sent you and your company emails regarding it..
simulation assurance vie

Edited by singeroi, 12 May 2009 - 10:23 PM.